Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple Wireless Mouse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Enidtoo

Enidtoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:36 PM

I have a Mac Book Pro OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.  I have an Apple Mouse Model # A 12968VDS.  I want to buy another wireless mouse for this computer.  What would you suggest?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Trackpad-Compatible-Computer-MC380LL/dp/B003XIJ3MW

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:22 PM

Just about any mouse should work with a Mac. So, pick one that you like.

The only wrinkle is that most "Windows" branded mice will only come with extra software for extra buttons/functions of the mouse that works with Windows. The basic functions (click, right-click, and scroll wheel) will work fine on a Mac with just about any mouse (if not all mice). The way around this wrinkle is to use a piece of third-party software called SteerMouse (http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/). If you don't want or need the extra buttons/functions of more expensive mice, then something like SteerMouse will not be needed.

FWIW, I am currently using a Logitech G602 (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g602-wireless-gaming-mouse) with SteerMouse on my Mac. Works great. I like to have some extra buttons on the mouse to use for things like various Mission Control functions. This mouse allows me to do that...and not have to use keyboard strokes on the keyboard while leaving my hand on the mouse. I also like the feel of it in my hand...something that I did not like with the Apple Magic Mouse (too flat/small for me). And I don't really want to use a trackpad for my normal use (it is OK when using my laptop as a laptop, but most of the time I use it as a desktop "replacement") and even if I did, my Mac laptop has a perfectly good trackpad already built-in...no need to pay for another...<grin>.

#4 PeterStevens

PeterStevens

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:08 AM

Like BC Advisor says... Just about any mouse will work, just make sure it says it's Mac compatible on the packaging.

Note though, that if you use Apple's Magic Mouse, you can scroll right/left as well as up/down. I haven't seen this on any other mouse on the market yet.

Edited by PeterStevens, 04 February 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#5 BSchwarz

BSchwarz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:40 AM

I use a Magic Trackpad 2. It replaced my Logitech MX Master. At first I was hesitant to go to a trackpad instead of a mouse. Now I wouldn't ever switch back to a mouse.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

just make sure it says it's Mac compatible on the packaging.

It does not necessarily need to even say that on the packaging, but that definitely is a good thing. In theory, any two-button with scroll USB mouse should provide basic functionality (i.e. click, right-click, and scroll wheel). Where things can get squirrelly is with extra buttons/features...there may not be included Mac software to provide functionality to those buttons, unless the box specifically mentions Mac compatibility.

#7 poppykirk

poppykirk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

You can buy from ebay.

#8 onconference

onconference

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:48 AM

If you want wireless I think you'll always need to install a driver, I haven't come across a wireless one (except some of the older Bluetooth mice) that would work on Mac without an extra driver since they come with dongles.

Almost any wired USB mouse from Dell works with Macs I find, both with and without drivers, but for more complex functionality like a tilting scroll wheel or 4+ buttons a driver is often needed.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

If you want wireless I think you'll always need to install a driver, I haven't come across a wireless one (except some of the older Bluetooth mice) that would work on Mac without an extra driver since they come with dongles.[/size]

Both my Logitech wireless mice (with dongle) works fine on my Mac with no driver...if I only want the use of the left and right buttons and scroll wheel. If I want use of any of the other buttons, then I need a driver, which Logitech generally does not provide for Macs, so I use Steermouse.

This has been true of EVERY SINGLE USB mouse (whether wired or wireless) I have ever use with a Mac for years. The two main buttons and the scroll wheel will work with no extra driver. I have just needed a driver to use the other buttons. I have not tried every mouse out there, of course, but I have used a pretty wide selection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users