Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

of proxies and Tor.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Oyugi

Oyugi

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

Hi guys, my desire is that you have started 2016 perfectly fine, now to my questions,

1. do i need to use unique proxies and ports if i am using tor browser.

2. Found a website that asks for a fee to give access to a private vpn to access internet, interestingly i have to use my isp sim in my usb modem for it to work,how is that possible?

3. is there a way to get internet access without having to purchase isp expensive packages.

4. finally please help me understand the role of vpn, free proxies and ports for internet connectivity.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

Happy New Year Oyugi,

I'm not sure I understand your questions, but let's see if we can figure that out together.

do i need to use unique proxies and ports if i am using tor browser.

If you are using the Tor Browser Bundle, you do not need to make any configuration changes to run Tor. You just start the Tor Browser Bundle. For step by step installation instructions, please click here.

Found a website that asks for a fee to give access to a private vpn to access internet, interestingly i have to use my isp sim in my usb modem for it to work,how is that possible?

Many VPN providers are subscription services so you may have to pay to use them. Please understand Tor and VPNs are not the same thing. When you use a VPN, you still need to have an Internet connection. So, if you are going to purchase a VPN solution and use it you still need your Internet connection (which I am guessing you get with the SIM in your USB Modem provided by your ISP).

is there a way to get internet access without having to purchase isp expensive packages.

You have to get your Internet from an ISP. Depending on where you live and what is available from local ISPs you can use Dial-Up, Broadband, Mobile Broadband, Wi-Max, or Satellite Internet.

finally please help me understand the role of vpn, free proxies and ports for internet connectivity.

To read about how Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) work look at this link.

To read about how proxies work look at this link.

To read about how Internet Protocol ports work look at this link.

Now if you don't mind, I have a question.

What are you trying to accomplish? If you are trying to connect your computer to the Internet, please see my answer to question 3. What are you trying to do with a proxy or VPN?

I hope I was able to help you with your questions.

Cheers,

packetanalyzer

#3 Oyugi

Oyugi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

Fully satisfied with the answers, from what i understand is that with a non isp proxy, internet speeds can significantly be increased as well as being able to remain anonymous from the isp. Regarding vpn, i thought it was an alternative to get free access to the internet because i would be redirected to a different server much like how Your Freedom apk on android works. Anyways thanks for the enlightment.

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

I'm glad I was able to help you find answers.

Generally, using a proxy will NOT give you increased Internet speeds.

Keep in mind that when you are using the Internet you have to go from your computer to the destination. Each stop in the path is called a "hop". The diagram below is only meant to convey a concept and is not a representation of a complete route from source to destination.

Your Computer -> USB Modem -> Cellular Tower -> Provider Hop -> Provider Hop -> Destination

There may be more than 2 "Provider Hops" and other hops that are owned by different companies as your request goes from your computer to the destination.

When you use a proxy your path gets longer.

Your Computer -> USB Modem -> Cellular Tower -> Provider Hop -> Provider Hop -> Proxy -> Destination

There may also be multiple hops after the proxy and before the destination. Because you are making the path from you to the destination longer, you will not normally have faster Internet speeds.

A VPN is not a free alternative to your Internet access. You can use a VPN that could either be paid or free which you setup on top of your Internet connection.

The android app still requires your phone to have a cellular signal for the VPN app to work. In that case the cellular signal is the Internet connection.

Cheers,

packetanalyzer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users