Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old ps2 mouse, no scroll option.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

I know it's silly.

Just plugged an old ps2 trackball mouse into my laptop running win 10 64bit, and the scroll wheel won't work. Default MS driver shows no options for scroll. It's some old HP POS. CP-15K.

Didn't think it would be so hard to find a ps2 mouse (with scroll wheel) driver.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

I logged off & on, and the scroll started working......

Frank O' The Mountain

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

I logged off & on, and the scroll started working......

Isn't it amazing how often a this sort of thing, or it's extended equivalent of shutting down and restarting, fixes certain issues?  I've always wished that these mysterious healings could be better understood, but they seldom reveal their secrets.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:12 AM

Didn't we always have to shut down before connecting a PS2 mouse, or anything not USB? Then Windows could find the proper driver on boot.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

Didn't we always have to shut down before connecting a PS2 mouse, or anything not USB? Then Windows could find the proper driver on boot.

I don't recall that ever being the case for either the mouse or the keyboard.  I do recall, though, that systems would not boot at all if it had only a PS/2 keyboard and that was unplugged at boot time.  It would scream something like "no keyboard present" on one of the "white text on black background" screens prior to Windows ever entering the picture.

I've unplugged and replugged PS/2 devices or booted without them, but plugged them in later, on Windows 7 systems without issue.  I can't recall the last time I dealt with a new system that actually used PS/2 "out of the box."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

The last time i used PS2 was on Win ME. Don't judge. I didn't buy it. It just came, in the course of business. ~g~  So, maybe I'm going back a bit further than you, or, maybe, I was just really, really anal.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

The last time i used PS2 was on Win ME. Don't judge. I didn't buy it. It just came, in the course of business. ~g~  So, maybe I'm going back a bit further than you, or, maybe, I was just really, really anal.

Believe me, no matter what your chronological age might be, you can't go back with Windows any further than I do.  I received my bachelor's degree in computer science in 1985.  I remember punch cards, when DEC was the computer company at the top of the heap (RIP), and when Windows in any form did not exist.

When it comes to how things plug in to computers, unless it's something I'm acquiring at a later date, basics like a mouse or keyboard are strictly dictated by the manufacturer.  When no choice is involved, no judgment can be involved, either!  ;-)

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

Gotta call you on that one, Brian. While i had no concept of what a computer was, and Windows didn't exist, at the time, I pulled punch cards in the order department of Lippincott Publishers, as a summer job in 1968 and 1969. It was amazing how much physical labor went into what we accomplish, today, with a click of a mouse.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

leithanne,

Indeed.  There was almost nothing as tragic as dropping a mega-deck of punch cards on which you had an important program and/or data and on which you omitted to include sequence numbers (which most of us who keyed by hand did not include).  Ritual seppuku would have been preferable to the manual sorting afterward.  I often wonder that I still walk the earth!

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

Herman Hollerith, LOL. I took computer science in High School in the early 80s. Punch cards.

Frank O' The Mountain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users