Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I fell for the technical support scam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reallyneedhelp

reallyneedhelp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

I fell for the technical support scam and paid the fee and granted them access to my computer and they were downloading a couple of programs,but at the same time I told a friend about it and they told me to turn off completely. The scammers continue to call me. I am scared to turn on my computer and would like to know what to do about this.already called the credit card company to cancel the payment.

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2016 - 04:35 PM.
Moved from MRL to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

Unsolicited phone calls (aka Tech Support Scamming) from "so-called Support Techs" advising your computer is infected with malware has become an increasing common and prolific scam tactic over the past several years.

In the majority of these cases the scammers use social engineering to trick a victim into spending money for unnecessary technical support or to buy an application which claims to remove malware. In other cases the caller pretends to provide free security checks or direct the download and use of a bogus registry cleaner which purports to find thousands of problems, then offer to fix the computer for a fee. If the victim agrees, the support usually costs hundreds of dollars and often leaves the victim's computer unchanged or intentionally infected with dangerous malware.

Another scam tactic involves tricking their victims into believing that their computer is infected by having them look at a Windows log that shows dozens of harmless or low-level error entries. The scammer instructs their victim to type "eventvwr" in the RUN box to open Windows Event Viewer and points out all the warnings and error messages listed under the various Event Viewer categories. The scammer then attempts to scare their victims into giving them remote access to the computer in order to fix it and remove malware. More nefarious scammers will install a backdoor Trojan or Remote Access Trojan in order to steal passwords and other sensitive personal information which could then be used to access bank accounts or steal a person's identity.

The caller may claim to be an employee affiliated with Microsoft or Windows Support. However, there have been reports of scammers claiming to be affiliated with major computer manufacturers such as Hewlett Packard, Lenovo and Dell or familiar security vendors like Symantec, Panda and McAfee.

img_52e1a9d429e36.jpg

Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls or send unsolicited email messages to request personal or financial information or to fix your computer.

Not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers...then report them to the appropriate authorities.

If you want a check of your system for possible malware, especially if they had remote access, you should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Your computer probably was not infected BEFORE the call but after you allowed the callers to tell you to visit certain pages and download certain programs and run them, your computer probably is infected NOW. I strongly suggest that you start a topic in "am I infected what do I do" and also that you run malwarebytes anti-malware, malwarebytes-antirootkit (run this on a setting to detect only because removal of rootkits cna be damaging, so just see if it detects anything to start with), ESET online scanner (run this on a detect oly mode as well because it does a lot of false positives, make sure to set it to detect PUPs as well), your own current antivirus and put these results into your thread in "am i infected".
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users