Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Size, Durability and Dual OS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mywikipedia

mywikipedia

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

Hello there,

Im having the most exhausting time trying to get good advice from local stores and forums in my country. They keep offering the most expensive computers and saying ridiculous stuff. So pardon my French but i have decided to try my luck with "the a league". Hope you can help me with my strange demands from this acute tool.

First ill answer the pop quiz:

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop, and a small one please.
My budget for the new computer is: It will be hard to asses my budget because im not European, buy originally i thought if i get exactly what i want (which is not much, trust me) im willing to pay around 650 E. Later i found that my needs are pretty basic, so im thinking around 450-500E.
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?  Academic work, Web browsing, Occasional video editing on "Movie Maker".
What software do you intend on using on the computer? Basic: Office, Open Office, Movie Maker, Chrome, Firefox, Tor, Skype, AudioSauna, BsPlayer, ALC player etc...
Do you play games? If so, what type of games? I love games but i have not time or money for it right now.
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I tend to have many TABS open or working on many OFFICE FILES simultaneously, but i do not tend to open different software while i do that.
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Well yea. Ill need around half TB i guess. But i also have an outer memory box storing 1TB
Will you be overclocking? What's that?
Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? So Im not sure i can shop for a computer and send it overseas and still have a good warranty, so i guess ill need to shop around here, which is Jerusalem, Which is expensive.

these are some of my options:

http://www.zap.co.il/ratemodel.aspx?modelid=889517&rmf=1

http://www.nayadnayad.co.il/Product.aspx?ProductID=14867

http://www.18comp.co.il/prodtxt.asp?id=6159

http://www.orpc.co.il/items/662128

http://www.orpc.co.il/items/672062

How many monitors are you planning to use? Sorry for being NOOBISH but what a monitor?
Do you need peripherals? OS? YES! So because im tired of being dependent on Microsoft constant updating that just slows a computer down making it last only 2-3 years, i was thinking of starting with a DUAL OS, meaning i can choose each time to start with either Windows or Linux. I thought this was a simple demand but i got many embarrassed looks in stores around here. Is it that hard thing to do? can't any technician do it for me in one hour visit?
Any particular reason why you are upgrading? My current computer is fine (Fujitsu AH 502), but it's too big (18inch).

Basically I have to options: Either buying the most basic computer just for office work and web browsing. In that case, 400E is my budget but the cheapest is the best. It still needs to be reliable and not junk though.

Second option is to find a durable computer that can last for 4-5 years. In "lasting" i mean that with proper care it shouldn't slow down drastically or be in need of hardware change. Then i will need it for basic movie editing and will want it to have Dual OS as well. 650E is my budget.

Either way because im on the move a lot im looking for a 10-11.6 inch computer.

Thank you so much for reading thus far. I hope you can help me find a decent Metal-n-Plastic Partner, as we all know how much computers are important these days, really.

Thanks again,

WIKI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

As far as the dual-OS setup, it is as simple as running an install disk - or rather it used to be. Now most laptops have a "secure boot" setting that must be disabled before you can boot. As long as you don't mind tweaking a few BIOS settings, you will be fine doing it yourself. (heck when you get the computer just let me know and I will be happy to walk you through the process. I really don't trust computer technicians as I have heard plenty of stories about clueless ones screwing things up and malicious ones squeezing extra money out of you by claiming to have 'removed viruses' from a clean PC. These days they seem hardly better than the "tech support phone scammers".)
Now onto the specs. Do you have a particular amount of hard drive space you are looking for? If you're going to be doing video editing that can take a lot. Unless you only want to do editing when plugged into a external hard drive, I would recommend at least a terabyte of space, especially since you will be dual booting. If you want the computer to last, I would suggest one at least with an Intel i5 processor. If you are going for the budget, I'd say at least an i3 since you will be doing video editing. Finally, here is a website that can help you find good deals: portablepicker.com. You can sort and filter by a variety of factors. Last but not least, I would avoid HP and Dell if possible as they seem to load the most amount of junkware onto your laptop, which can bog it down considerably.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 mywikipedia

mywikipedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

hi man thanks for the website but it really just highlight the difficulty buying a computer around here. most of the recommendations under my requirements are out of reach for Israel. For example Acer Chromebook C720-3605 11.6" Seems to fit my needs, but in order to get one needs to pay around 180Euro on shipment that takes about 2 months to reach.

For i3 or higher, Israeli sites go either for 15.6 inch screen or 750-110 Euro computers. Are these the only processors that's worth looking for? right now im using a computer with "Intel Pentium 2020m" which seems to excel basic video editing. So what about the Pentium or Atom series? What about AMD?

Most options i get in those sites with price and size filters are either Asus or Lenovo. For example

Lenovo IdeaPad S20-30

ASUS EeeBook X205TA-FD0061TS

Actually the only computer i did find that is from a different company and under 650Euro is a Dell 11 one, which you said one should avoid.

So this is super frustrating thus far.

Regarding the Dual-OS, I once tried to do it myself on an old Asus computer,t with hand-in-hand help from http://ubuntuforums.org/ but it failed completely. (I tried to search that thread but i don't remember the username). Anyway After weeks of Q&A with those patient and nice people, i still couldn't make a decent image copy of the computer, and even when i succeeded in burning a portable key with Ubuntu,  the Dual OS didn't appear from BIOS.

#4 mywikipedia

mywikipedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

I have found the posts from the time i thought i can switch to Dual-OS by myself

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2258720&highlight=Fujitsu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2259289&highlight=

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

another option is running a virtual machine (running one OS inside of another OS) typically though you want at least 4 gigs of ram, if not more, to do this effectively.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 mywikipedia

mywikipedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

I see... Can you name a few options for 4GB Laptop that will consider size (10-11.6 inch), durability and price (400-600$)?

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:06 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6R43CZ4372

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ2VX1363

those are a couple options...hard to find a lot of performance in a system that small without forking out a lot of dough.

This one would be a lot better if your considering virtualization, but if your just going to dual boot the above two will work just fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RB3CF5463

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 mywikipedia

mywikipedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Thanks mate the fact an oldie like the lenovo Led can do the trick is quite comforting. I do have A few questions, if you don't mind:

1. the HP has just 1000 mhz, do you think it will be able to preform basic video editing? Do you think that lenovo would?

2. I was thinking to walk the line a little bit and maybe go for an Asus transformer:

Basically it's a Tablet but it has good numbers. I mean from what i understood a 4GB memory and 2200 processor should operate smoothly regarding basic video editing and dual OS, but im not sure if this is true for tablets as well. Additionally the Asus has only 64GB hard disk space, but maybe i can extand it without compromising it's performance. I guess i sound like a complete noob, which i am. But what's your take on this option?

Thanks a lot man

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:16 AM

basic? maybe. basic, is about all anything of that size and price range will do. If you want to do anything advanced, your going to need a bigger budget and a far more powerful computer.

As far as dual booting, well, 64 gigs is kinda small hard drive, especially if your going to be using the system for video editing as you will need storage for your video files. I would imagine even 160 would be tight.

Of the three I recomended, the two lenovas would probably be the best bets if you were doing video editing, the first one has a 1.8 ghz AMD quad core processor and a good radeon graphics card, and a 500 gig hard drive. Thats a decent amount of horsepower for a system that size, and a lot of hard drive space. The last lenova I chose has a dual core i7 which again, is a decent amount of horsepower, but only a 180 gig drive, which is probably enough, and the advantage is its a SSD drive which is faster and more efficient then the standard 500 gig in the other 2 drives.

And is this the ASUS transformer you were talking about? If so, its not all that impressive, sure its a quad core but its only a 1.33 ghz Atom, pretty much any of my previous suggestions would outperform it hands down, in almost every category. 

picard5.jpg

#10 mywikipedia

mywikipedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

What about this Asus: https://www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS_Transformer_Book_T100HA/specifications/

This one's got 2.2 ghz, and with an outer extension for hard drive (via micro sd) would it be able to do simple video editing?

Does it make any difference if the title is "Laptop" or "Tablet"?

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Performance wise should work...as far as whether it matters or not I do not know I have never tried installing a different is on a tablet and do not know how it's done or if its possible.

picard5.jpg

#12 mywikipedia

mywikipedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

Ok thank my redneck friend. May god bless you and god bless America. :)

It appears im locking on either that Asus tablet or the Lenovo the patriot here have suggested. I understand now i need a 4gb ram and a decent processor, and this shouldn't be that expensive or hard to get. But does Anybody here have a take on the posebility of basic video editing on one of the above mentioned options? what about installing  dual-OS on a tablet? And more generally speaking Is anyone here famillier with one of those options?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users