Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Password and Account Password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Barnack

Barnack

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

Hello guys,

with all my hardware and software problems finally solved (yay!) i've some questions about Windows 10

The point is the logging in password. I have logged into my Windows devices with the same account (obviously), that includes my PC, my laptop and my mobile phone. The first conseguence is that all of theese devices require the exact same password to login and... well that's not good at all.

Is there any way to make the device login password be different from the account password? In settings i've found nothing...

(idk maybe somtehing about registry keys)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

Hello Barnack

In lieu of using the password for your Microsoft account on each device, you can use a unique PIN.

You can also use a picture password unique on each device you have.

Just make sure you remember which PIN or Picture Password you assign for each device.

Click Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options to complete this task.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted.

Old Rocker

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

Why on earth do you consider that shared password "bad"?

If the password is well-chosen in the first place it's unlikely to be guessed.  Were it to be guessed (and you realized it before someone logged in to your Microsoft Account to change it) you could log in to your Microsoft Account and make that change yourself.

Were one of your devices to be lost you need only change your password on your Microsoft Account and all devices then require the use of the new password the moment after they've had any connection to the internet and a chance to sync.

Given the utter unlikelihood of your losing physical control of any of these devices, and presuming that you've picked a reasonably strong password to begin with, there's nothing "bad" about a reasonably strong password for the same account being used to access multiple devices.  Your first line of defense is physical possession of the devices, not their passwords.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:18 AM

@old rovker
Thanx you, think ill have to use a pin... Tis a shame you cant set different passwords anyway.

Why on earth do you consider that shared password "bad"?

If the password is well-chosen in the first place it's unlikely to be guessed.  Were it to be guessed (and you realized it before someone logged in to your Microsoft Account to change it) you could log in to your Microsoft Account and make that change yourself.

Were one of your devices to be lost you need only change your password on your Microsoft Account and all devices then require the use of the new password the moment after they've had any connection to the internet and a chance to sync.

Given the utter unlikelihood of your losing physical control of any of these devices, and presuming that you've picked a reasonably strong password to begin with, there's nothing "bad" about a reasonably strong password for the same account being used to access multiple devices.  Your first line of defense is physical possession of the devices, not their passwords.

I dont think someone is going to come in my home, steal my personal computer, attack rysers to it ans carry it around the world as a backpack.

Anyway shared passwords are a bad thing since passwords have born xD

#5 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

If someone is interested i've found out a way to set different passowrds in different devices which share the same account.

Proceed as follows:

1-Modify your Microsoft Account and give it the password you want to use for one device.

2-Log in with this device.

3-Make sure it is using the password you've set.

4-Goto settings, syncronization, and set "password" off.

-repeat steps 1-4 for every device you want to have a different password.

If you want two devices to share the same password just make sure they both set the new one before you uncheck "password" from settings.

For example i've finally managed to have my laptop and phone share the same password while my pc uses another one, and they all share the same Microsoft account.

Sorry for the bad english. Names of settings may not be correct since i'm using italan version of Windows and i don't know exactly which words does the english one use.

#6 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

I have used Daslane since I installed Windows 10. It is a very handy tool and will even make passwords for a sight and then remember them. I do all my banking and other financial transactions on the net and Dashlane makes makes me feel more secure. You can easily change passwords to a site and not having to remember or write everything down I find it a great addition to Windows 10.

#7 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Well, that goes exactly in the oppoesite way of what i was talking about xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users