Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to print through home network on a windows 10 laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Snow731

Snow731

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

I bought a new laptop that runs on Windows 10, but I want to connect it to the printer through the home network because thats how I think I did it on my old laptop that died.

The main computer is the desktop computer which is physically connected to the printer, Brother HL 2040 and to the wireless router and runs on Windows XP.

However, when I try setting up the printer on my laptop, i can't find the home network. Both computers are set up to share printer and files. 

I tried contacting Brother because I wasn't sure if it was compatible with Windows 10 since its an old printer and they weren't much help.  But I went through their website and found this link  http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2040_all&faqid=faq00002994_001

which I  followed the instructions. 

I couldn't find via home network so  I followed the instructions to find via IP address but I get a message that says"the device is not found on the network"  and to "check if device is turned on, network is connected, device is properly configured, or if the IP address is correct. If correct to choose device type "standard: generic network card" and click NEXT.

So I click NEXT that tells me to choose which printer driver I want installed and installs the driver just like in Steps 6-9. It adds the printer name on list of printers but its not actually connected to the printer. Theres an error message when I try to print a Test Page.

Do I need to download something on the main computer to have the printer compatible with windows 10? If I go to the printer settings it says I need to click on various windows versions to make sure its compatible, but windows 10 isn't one of them.  

Does anyone know how to set it up so I can print from my laptop.

Edited by Snow731, 04 January 2016 - 12:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:52 AM

It sounds like you have followed the instructions on installing it. So it didn't find the printer and you had to add it manually? During that process did it find the printer? On step 6 of that tutorial it mentions using the Microsoft Updates button, have you tried that? Are you entering in the proper IP address of the printer? Other things to check go to search and type in services.msc scroll down to print spooler and make sure its on automatic and started. If it is started try restarting the service. On the printer be sure it is on and not in standby. Some printers will not connect on usb and wifi. The one pc connected to the the printer has to be on to share.

Edit: Forgot to add.. Is your laptop on the same wifi network as the printer? If you have a router and are connected to Guest wifi you may not have printing abilities. This is a security setting within the router configurations. Guest wifi will typically not have sharing or printing abilities by default. You would need to change that within the access control on the router. However, I don't suggest doing that Guests should not have access to the private network. It's a sure way of a Guest infecting your private network with a virus. Some routers are more robust with this feature and may allow Guests based on their mac address allowing one guest access and denying the others.

Edited by technonymous, 04 January 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

The question also arises as to whether the new laptop is connected to the network such that it is discoverable itself (essentially, making it a part of what it believes is a private network [Home or Work types in old Windows terminology].  If it's not that could cause a problem.

Settings->Network & Internet->Wifi Pane

Select the network connection (and you're likely connected to it)

Scroll down until you see the link below it for "Advanced Options" and click it

"Make this PC Discoverable" setting must be ON

If it is OFF, the network you're connected to is considered to be a Public network and you cannot have file and printer sharing, among other things, over it.

Edited by britechguy, 04 January 2016 - 09:39 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Snow731

Snow731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for your help. I Finally was able to somehow figure it out. 

When I click on the network folder the homegroup name doesn't appear right away but if I wait long enough it suddenly appears so I was able to connect to the printer and print from my laptop.  The printer name doesn't appear on my list of printers through the settings button but if I"m in like Microsoft Word and I click Print the name appears on the list of printers to choose from. Weird. But as long as it works, I guess it doesn't matter.

Edited by Snow731, 05 January 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Snow731,

Do you have a Homegroup set up?  If not, that's worth doing, as it makes Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7 "play together" much more smoothly when it comes to file and device sharing.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users