Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting over and over?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:51 PM

Hi,

My computer keeps restarting over and over.

I've disconnected all hard drives except the two with OS on them (Windows 10 & 7), disconnected all cards except the video card, I've even replaced both the PSU and the motherboard (both are older Gigabyte mobos) and it still keeps restarting?

It makes no difference which OS I use the computer keeps restarting over and over.

It may restart immediately or stay on for up to 10 minutes before restarting.

I can only conclude that it may be either the CPU or the video card?

Anyone have any experience with this and some suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Could this be the CPU or the video card? Thanks.

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

Are your components overheating? Try momitoring them with hwmonitor.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

The CPU is running at 83*C on startup and running up to 96*C a few minutes after running, that may be a bit hot since the backup computer's CPU I'm using is running at 17*C.

I have had problems getting the CPU cooler fan to fit properly, but that's only with using a different mobo.

Plus a mobo alarm is continually running.

It does look like it's over heating. The fan is running but I may have to purchase a new one.

Right now I'll look for some new contact stuff to put between the fan and the CPU.

Edited by Johnz414, 04 January 2016 - 05:11 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

83°C on start is too hot and 96°C is Wayyy too hot.

I have had problems getting the CPU cooler fan to fit properly,

Are you replacing the mainboard? Building a new computer? Do you mean that the entire CPU heatsink and fan assembly is not mounted properly? Or only the fan, and if you are replacing the fan only on the original CPU heasink, are you sure it has the CFM airflow required? Need more details on what you are trying to do.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

Likely the CPU thermal paste has failed!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

What CPU and Cooler are you using? Is there any wires that might be getting caught in the fan (which would cause it to instantly stop)? Are you sure the CPU Cooler is firmly seated on the heat spreader?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#7 Tabeer

Tabeer

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:25 AM

It sounds like you have either a bad power supply or a shorted component.

It sounds like the system is trying to power up, then the PSU detects a short and electronically shuts itself down. When that happens, the PSU load drops, and the cycle repeats.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

It sounds like you have either a bad power supply or a shorted component.
It sounds like the system is trying to power up, then the PSU detects a short and electronically shuts itself down. When that happens, the PSU load drops, and the cycle repeats.

That doesn't explain the CPU overheating. I'd guess it's actually thermal shutdown.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thermal shut down can happen in a flash when the paste goes bad, that would be the first place to check.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

The CPU is running at 83*C on startup and running up to 96*C a few minutes after running

I have had problems getting the CPU cooler fan to fit properly, but that's only with using a different mobo.

As it has already been pointed, this is too hot.

If you have taken the heatsink and fan assembly off of the CPU you should always clean the mating surfaces of the heatsink and the CPU heat spreader and reapply fresh thermal compound on the CPU, then reinstall the heatsink and fan.

What I'm curious about is that the computer keeps restarting.  If this is a overheating issue the computer shouldn't restart until the temperature returns to levels below the point where the computer shuts down due to overheating.

I would suggest installing the CPU in the motherboard you usually use it with after reapplying new thermal compound.  Actic Silver is a very popular thermal paste.  Once you have done this, see what the temperatures are.  If they are maintaining lower temperatures and the restart is still occurring boot into Windows 7 and boot into Safe Mode.  Choose Disable automatic restart on system failure.  When the computer tries to restart a BSOD should appear instead of restarting.  Copy the ***STOP error code and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:36 AM

OK, I've put new thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink (after cleaning the heatsink of course). The heatsink is securely attached. Temperatures are not exceeding 63* C but the PC is still restarting over and over. Again it will stay on for up to about 10 minutes before it starts the continual restarting.

I will try the booting into safe mode tomorrow and disable auto-restart (only where is that?). 

OH, I did try a different power supply and it is still the same result, continual restarting.

Also, since I've tried 2 motherboards with the same result I find it hard to think it's a short, though that would make a lot of sense.

Edited by Johnz414, 06 January 2016 - 12:41 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

Test your memory as follows:

>  Ground yourself by touching a water pipe. Remove your memory sticks, gently wipe the contacts with a paper towel and reinsert. Make sure they are snugly snapped into place and locked with the tabs. If you are not sure how to do this post back.

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD or DVD

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

If you have multiple sticks, test only one (1) stick at a time using the #1 slot as the mounting for the test stick.

Post back with results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:59 AM

I put the power supply into another computer and found that it did the same thing, that computer shut down after a while.

So, it seems to be the power supply!

I didn't think of this right away since it's a recent purchased PSU. However, I should of been suspect since it's a cheap 750watt off of eBay.

I've ordered a decent PSU from Newegg that should last for many a year.

John

Albert Einstein.

#14 Tabeer

Tabeer

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

It's bad to hear that the main problem is actually the Power supply.

#15 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:35 AM

Yes, it's the second PSU that has gone bad with this PC within just a few months. The first one I got years out of and served me well, this second one was a recent disappointing purchase off eBay.

So, I'm not only getting a new PSU but I'm also giving in and looking to make a new build (it's about time), check out HERE for what I'm looking for and any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Thanks!

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users