Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Thunderbird rightclick+highlight word then "search on Bing" in the menu

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

I loathe bing with a passion. My preferred search engine isn't an option; bing, yahoo, aol, amazon and ebay are?? WTF Mozilla get with it. Argghhhh!

Edited by allstock, 03 January 2016 - 09:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

What is your preferred search engine?  While there may be a very small number that can't be added as the default in Firefox that's what that number is, very small.  The number that show up on the Firefox Add-Ons for Search Engines page is, well, substantial.  I added DuckDuckGo ages ago, and that's far from "a major."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

Thanks Britech Guy. The thing is search like google(despised) and duckduckgo or mozilla search aren't even an option. I'm not sure if I can change that in Thunderbird.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:30 AM

allstock,

They can't give every search engine as a built in option, so the most popular ones are included.  It's a simple matter to add alternatives and instructions for doing so are in Firefox help as well as on the web all over the place.  Use those instructions and stop whinging!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Allstock wants to change the preferred search engine in THUNDERBIRD.

An add-on in Firefox will NOT change it in THUNDERBIRD.

One can add a dozen search engine add-ons to Firefox and none of them will be available in THUNDERBIRD.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

Queen-Evie,

Certain details of this thread have been tweaked since its appearance.  Since I don't have Thunderbird installed on this machine I can't do quick testing, but it would shock me if one cannot select a wide variety of search providers in any Mozilla product.

The complaint appears to have its roots more in the desire to vent than to do the bit of research necessary to change things.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

I do have Thunderbird installed. I did try using the Firefox duckduckgo add-on. It did not work.

In addition, I went through all the settings in Thunderbird and see no way to change it.

No, the complaint is NOT a "vent". It is a LEGITIMATE question. As such, it deserves more than a "stop whinging" remark.

We do not know if Allstock searched before asking here.

There are complicated instructions for changing it which apply to PREVIOUS versions of Thunderbird.

I did not investigate those instructions and do not know if it applies to the most recent version.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 January 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

Queen-Evie,

The original question, to the best of my recollection, asked about Firefox, or I would not have replied about Firefox.

My track record on these forums stands on its own, and I stand by my assessment of the tone of the original post.

Also, this help page for Thunderbird (which I presume is current) shows that it's pretty easy to switch to the search engine you prefer within Thunderbird.  It seems to imply that Bing is their default, which is more than a bit odd if you ask me.

Edited by britechguy, 04 January 2016 - 01:21 PM.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

The original question is about THUNDERBIRD. The big clue is that THUNDERBIRD is in the TITLE of this topic.

THUNDERBIRD is a Mozilla project. So if Firefox, but the 2 are not the same.

Reading the posts in this topic, Allstock did not mention Firefox in any of his/her posts.

In fact, the first mention of Firefox was this from post #2

What is your preferred search engine?  While there may be a very small number that can't be added as the default in Firefox that's what that number is, very small.  The number that show up on the Firefox Add-Ons for Search Engines page is, well, substantial.  I added DuckDuckGo ages ago, and that's far from "a major."

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

Queen-Evie,

I see that, at the moment, but note that the original post was edited.  This would not be the first time, not the last, when I started composing a reply within a minute of seeing an original post but not having the chance to hit Send until a few minutes later.

As I said earlier, my track record stands for itself.  Your school marm tone, used again and again, stands for itself, too.  If you want to ban me because I find that tone irritating beyond belief, and am willing to say so, then so be it.

~ Brian Vogel

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Some thing you may want to keep in mind it is her job to monitor the playground and not yours at all.

You are a knowledgeable tech and provide a lot of help but you are not the only one. I do not include myself in the catagory at all.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#12 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:09 AM

The only change made in my edited post was the addition of the word "are" in the second sentence. My title clearly states "firefox" in the title. As with most forum formats, once a title is submitted it can't be edited. Cheers!

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

The title says MOZILLA, not Firefox.

Firefox and Thunderbird are 2 different programs-both are Mozilla programs. One can use Thunderbird without having Firefox installed and vice-versa.

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

Not meaning to stoke the fire but all one has to do is scroll up to the first post. It is still there includeing the header. Read for oneself what is there.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#15 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

What I meant to say in my prior post was, clearly said Thunderbird. Now I'm getting confused. Haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users