Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display With GPU in Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 COUPLE

COUPLE

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

So I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 to resolve an issue I was having, so my Nvidia drivers were deleted in that process. When I went to turn my computer back on after i was finished, there was no display on the screen so I took out my GPU and plugged the VGA into the integrated graphics and it worked fine. This just made me think I have to install the Nvidia drivers again but then I found out that you need the GPU in your computer to install the drivers, but My display won't work anymore with the GPU inside and no drivers for it.

Can anyone help?
Much appreciated, thanks in advanced

system specs:

Windows 10 Home

Intel Core i3-2130 CPU

8 GB Ram

Intel HD Graphics

My GPU is NVIDIA GEFORCE 750 ti

Edited by COUPLE, 03 January 2016 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

Go into your UEFI/BIOS and see if there is a setting to enable an onboard GPU and disable the integrated graphics card. Some Motherboard will Automatically detect an onboard GPU while others require that you set it to the PCI or PCIe slot.

#3 COUPLE

COUPLE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

Go into your UEFI/BIOS and see if there is a setting to enable an onboard GPU and disable the integrated graphics card. Some Motherboard will Automatically detect an onboard GPU while others require that you set it to the PCI or PCIe slot.

And could you tell me how I would go about doing that? Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Did you use the same video cable from the monitor to the Nvidia GPU and integrated graphics?

#5 COUPLE

COUPLE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Did you use the same video cable from the monitor to the Nvidia GPU and integrated graphics?

The Computer is HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1414 and yes i used the same cable

My GPU was working before i reinstalled Windows 10, now that my drivers are missing or something, there is no display but the GPU's fan still works

I went into the BIOS thing and didn't know what to do

Edited by COUPLE, 03 January 2016 - 09:01 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

You can still install Nvidia drivers when using your integrated graphics card but the computer still needs to detect it. You can still install the Nvidia GPU and use your integrated graphics. Look in Device Manager and see if the Nvidia Card is detected.

Even with no drivers, you should still get an HP logo on the monitor when booting up when using the Nvidia GPU. This is before Windows even loads.

In your BIOS do you see anything mentioning integrated graphics?

I am not sure who added the Nvidia card but the PSU on your computer is only 220watts and the minimum for the 750TI is 300 watts. I am not sure if this is the problem though. If it was then it would be a coincidence it did not work after the Windows 10 install. PSUs tend to lose their wattage over time. Maybe it reached the point it the PSU could not handle the Nvidia GPU.

#7 COUPLE

COUPLE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

You can still install Nvidia drivers when using your integrated graphics card but the computer still needs to detect it. You can still install the Nvidia GPU and use your integrated graphics. Look in Device Manager and see if the Nvidia Card is detected.

Even with no drivers, you should still get an HP logo on the monitor when booting up when using the Nvidia GPU. This is before Windows even loads.

In your BIOS do you see anything mentioning integrated graphics?

I am not sure who added the Nvidia card but the PSU on your computer is only 220watts and the minimum for the 750TI is 300 watts. I am not sure if this is the problem though. If it was then it would be a coincidence it did not work after the Windows 10 install. PSUs tend to lose their wattage over time. Maybe it reached the point it the PSU could not handle the Nvidia GPU.

maybe that's the case then, i can't plug my VGA into the integrated graphics with the GPU in either or there is no display. And i don't see anything mentioning integrated graphics.

A "Computer expert" at a store told me to get it and said my computer would handle it. It was fine and I've had it for about 7 months now.

I think I've exhausted all my options to try and fix this now...

Edit: I also had Openhardware monitor to see my statistics and there was nothing abnormal so idk

Edited by COUPLE, 03 January 2016 - 09:28 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

I just saw a video on a HP slimline, not your model, and the uploader said the new video card was automatically detected. I would take the card back to the person you purchased it from and have them test it. If it works then I think your problem is with the PSU. I am out of ideas. Hopefully somebody else may give their thoughts on the problem.

Edit: See this thread. According to one poster you need at least 20 amps on the 12v rail. Can you see the rating on your PSU sticker? And here is shows 20 amps minimum with a 400watt PSU.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 January 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#9 COUPLE

COUPLE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

I just saw a video on a HP slimline, not your model, and the uploader said the new video card was automatically detected. I would take the card back to the person you purchased it from and have them test it. If it works then I think your problem is with the PSU. I am out of ideas. Hopefully somebody else may give their thoughts on the problem.

Edit: See this thread. According to one poster you need at least 20 amps on the 12v rail. Can you see the rating on your PSU sticker? And here is shows 20 amps minimum with a 400watt PSU.

I could not see the rating anywhere

But thank you for all of your help though. I really appreciate it

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:13 PM

No problem. I looked at a 300watt PSU for a HP slimline and it looks like it has dual 12v rails but the amp rating on each rail was only 9 for a total of 18. Slimline computers are pretty limited in the ability to upgrade.

I would ask the person you purchased the GPU from to test it on another computer. But, at least you have a functioning computer with the integrated graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users