Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Rid Of This PITA (onedrive popup)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

I have "Unsynced" this PITA, disabled it (I thought) and Still it pops up on every restart!

r73blz.jpg

I know that onedrive cannot be removed from windows 10 but according to my searches, you should be able to disable it?

I have searched and used the various methods for disabling it and as you can see .. nothing works!?

Any windows 10 users here with this problem and have you found a solution?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hey MrClose,

Onedrive is tightly integrated into windows10 so getting rid of it is like deleting Explorer you can Turn it off though......Iv'e never done it myself so its up to youwhether you try it

Disable OneDrive Everywhere in Windows and Apps Completely

1. Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.
  2. Type GPedit.msc and hit Enter or OK to open Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> OneDrive.
  4. In the right pane, double click on policy named Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage.
  5. Select the Enabled radio button.

disable-onedrive-windows.png

6. Click or tap OK when done.

OR you can do it in the registry

Here’s how to use Registry Editor to turn off OneDrive everywhere completely:

1. Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.
  2. Type RegEdit.exe and hit Enter or OK to open Registry Editor.
  3. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

4. Right click on Windows and select New -> Key. Name the new key as OneDrive.

Note: If OneDrive key already exists, skip this step.

5. Right click on OneDrive registry key, and select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new value name asDisableFileSyncNGSC
  6. Set the data for DisableFileSyncNGSC registry value as 1.

DisableFileSyncNGSC.png

Note: DisableFileSync registry value only works in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 and does not work in Windows 10.

7. Close Registry Editor.
  8. Sign out and sign in again, or restart the computer.

This might help.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Choosing the option to Unlink OneDrive does not disable it at startup.  There is another checkbox in the settings dialog, I can't remember what tab at the moment, that you uncheck to keep it from starting when Windows starts.

All of the above being said, it appears that somehow the "Run as Administrator" property has been set either on the shortcut that's being used to invoke OneDrive or on the OneDrive program itself (I'd suspect the former).

If you go into settings and uncheck the setting I mentioned I suspect this will stop happening, but should you ever wish to reactivate OneDrive you'd still be getting this issue.  I would check to see where OneDrive is getting invoked from to uncheck that "Run as Administrator" property before doing the don't start when Windows starts change if you ever intend to use OneDrive in the future.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

Bulgaristan, I had already done the registry hack .. no luck.

Britechguy. I'll look around and see if I can find a solution based on what you've posted and I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks Guys.

#5 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

Published by Brink 

How to Enable or Disable OneDrive Integration in Windows 10

infosmall1.png   Information
In Windows 10, you can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your PC, tablet, or phone.

OneDrive is free online storage at OneDrive.com that comes with your Microsoft account. It’s like an extra hard drive that’s available from any of the devices you use. You no longer need to email files to yourself or carry around (and possibly lose) a USB flash drive. Instead, whether you’re on your laptop and working on a presentation, viewing photos from your last family vacation on your new tablet, or on your phone reviewing your shopping list, you can get to your files in OneDrive.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable OneDrive integration to allow or prevent apps and features from working with files on OneDrive for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able enable or disable OneDrive integration.

notesmall1.png   Note
If you disable OneDrive integration:
  • Users can’t open the OneDrive app.
  • The OneDrive app will not run at startup for all users.
  • Windows Store apps can’t access OneDrive using the WinRT API.
  • OneDrive doesn’t appear in the navigation pane in File Explorer for all users.
  • OneDrive files aren’t kept in sync with the cloud.
  • Users can’t automatically upload photos and videos from the camera roll folder.

This will not prevent users from being able to access files on their OneDrive online at OneDrive.com.

This will not affect syncing settings.

CONTENTS:
  • Option One: To Enable or Disable OneDrive Integration in Group Policy
  • Option Two: To Enable or Disable OneDrive Integration using a REG file

EXAMPLE: OneDrive integration disabled
31314d1439575083-onedrive-integration-en
31315d1439575083t-onedrive-integration-e

OPTl.PNG OPTION ONE OPTR.PNG

To Enable or Disable OneDrive Integration in Group Policy

notesmall1.png   Note
This option is not available to Windows 10 Home editions since the Local Group Policy is not available in the Home edition.

Windows 10 Home editions can use Option Two below instead.

1. Open Group Policy.

2. In the left pane, click/tap on to expand Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows Components, and openOneDrive. (see screenshot below)

31312d1439575083t-onedrive-integration-e

2. In the right pane OneDrive, double click/tap on Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage to edit the policy. (see screenshot above)

3. Do step 4 (enable) or step 5 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Enable OneDrive Integration

A) Select (dot) Disabled or Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below step 5A)
NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

5. To Disable OneDrive Integration

A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below step 5A)

31313d1439575083t-onedrive-integration-e

6. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.

7. Sign out and sign in, or restart the computer to apply.

OPTl.PNG OPTION TWO OPTR.PNG

To Enable or Disable OneDrive Integration using a REG file

notesmall1.png   Note
The .reg files below add and make changes to DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive

DisableFileSyncNGSC DWORD

0 or delete = enable
1 = disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable OneDrive Integration

NOTE: This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_OneDrive_Integration.reg

dl2.png

3. To Disable OneDrive Integration

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_OneDrive_Integration.reg

dl2.png

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on RunYes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Sign out and sign in, or restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

You can try this.

I tested on virtual machine it is working fine for me.

#6 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:02 AM

Just go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and uninstall it.

If it's hidden or not listed, do this:

1. Open Command Prompt in Administrator mode: Right-click on the Windows icon in the taskbar and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type in taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe to terminate any OneDrive processes and hit Enter.
  3. Then type in either %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall if you’re using 32-bit Windows 10 or %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall if you’re using 64-bit Windows 10 and hit Enter.

You won’t see a confirmation dialog or progress bar when you do this, but if you try searching for OneDrive, the app will no longer be found. Your OneDrive folder and files, however, will still be available.

I do this for people all the time.

Bill

#7 RoyMarriott

RoyMarriott

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

Just go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and uninstall it.

If it's hidden or not listed, do this:

1. Open Command Prompt in Administrator mode: Right-click on the Windows icon in the taskbar and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type in taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe to terminate any OneDrive processes and hit Enter.
  3. Then type in either %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall if you’re using 32-bit Windows 10 or %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall if you’re using 64-bit Windows 10 and hit Enter.

You won’t see a confirmation dialog or progress bar when you do this, but if you try searching for OneDrive, the app will no longer be found. Your OneDrive folder and files, however, will still be available.

I do this for people all the time.

Bill

Thanks for this Bill - but it doesn't seem to work any longer (windows 10). I've followed steps 1-3 and it's still there in %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\

Do you have an updated way of doing this?

Roy

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Task Manager \ More Details \ Startup tab \ Select OneDrive and press the Disable button.

#9 RoyMarriott

RoyMarriott

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Many thanks Kilroy :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users