Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is a Recovery Partition showing in the BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

Attempting to reload win7, this dell desktop has 3 partitions showing as follows:

DISK 0 Partition 1 OEM 3.0MB

DISK 0 Partition 2 Recovery 12.3GB

DISK 0 Partition 3 OS Primary 285.7GB

First issue, when I had looked  for a Recovery partition in My Computer in windows, nothing was showing except for the C drive so I am not understanding why in the BIOS that 12.3gb Recovery partition is there? Also what's the purpose of the 3.0MB OEM partition please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

You do not see it because I think there is no drive letter assigned to the partition. The 3MB partition I believe is Dell's diagnostic tools but I am not sure. It could also be the initial start of the recovery manager you access by tapping F8 > Repair Computer > Dell Recovery Partition

Learn%20how%20to%20restore%20Dell%20Vost

You can see your partition by opening a command prompt and typing the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list volume   Will show all drive letters on the computer

list partition  Will show all partitions on disk 0

exit

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 January 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

When I tapped f8 it led me to Startup Repair but not to any recovery options so that suggested to be there wasn't a recover option on this machine?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

I am pretty sure that 12GB partition is the recovery partition. When you tap F8 there is no menu setting called Repair Your Computer? From there you should see the image I posted.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

I am familiar with that screen just did not see that option earlier today. Well what's throwing me here is that many times I have seen a recovery drive in windows so I guess because I did not see one on this machine I guess I wasn't expecting there would be that option. Alright so to confirm, as long as there is a recovery partition showing when I go to the reinstall screen that should mean there is a recovery option? If yes, are the recovery partitions and options automatically generated or only way to have a recovery option is to manually create one?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

I am familiar with that screen just did not see that option earlier today. Well what's throwing me here is that many times I have seen a recovery drive in windows so I guess because I did not see one on this machine I guess I wasn't expecting there would be that option. Alright so to confirm, as long as there is a recovery partition showing when I go to the reinstall screen that should mean there is a recovery option? If yes, are the recovery partitions and options automatically generated or only way to have a recovery option is to manually create one?

Sometimes there can be a Recovery Partition but for some reason the option is not available. Sometimes making the Recovery Partition active will cause it to boot into the Recovery Partition when the computer boots but that is not always the case.  I don't know how one manually creates a Recovery Option. Dell using the F8 method. Other OEMs have a key press at boot. For a computer that does not have a recovery partition after a clean install you can create one using Aoemi's One Key.

http://www.backup-utility.com/onekey-recovery.html

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

Not the first time you've given me great utility links. Thanks John.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:00 AM

Alright so a recovery partition is automatically generated, thanks for the help and link.

Edited by mystic12, 04 January 2016 - 07:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users