Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer defaults to opening same program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 polymathg

polymathg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

So here is my issue. I have a 2008 Dell PC and I am operating with Windows Vista. It came with Microsoft Works Word Processor (an earlier, simpler version of Word). About 3 days ago I was doing some editing on a couple Works documents and left them open overnight to continue the next day. I noticed when I came back to them the following day I attempted to open a new Works document but couldn't. I kept getting the notice that says it could not open because there are already other Works programs running. So rather than close my current documents I left them open so I could continue my work, and gradually came back to and worked on them over the next couple days, saving the progress as I went along.

Flash-forward to yesterday. I closed the documents and tried running other programs, but no matter what, every time I try, Works jumps up instead with a notice saying Works cannot open "C:\Program Files etc [insert program location here]". The file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt.

After I close out of that notice, a blank Works document opens up. All I can do then I close it and try again but I get the same result no matter which program I try to open. (Norton 360, Windows Media Player, Logitech Webcam, etc.) I don't think it's a malware issue, as it seems my computer just keeps defaulting to Works to open and crash every program, but just out of desperation I tried several malware removing options and they could all download fine, but when I try to run them I get that Works notice again and the process repeats.

Another by-product of this problem is when I restart my computer, none of my normal startup programs launch and only the Works program loads. I also get about 30 Works document notices spread across my desktop that I have to click out of. I also tried going to my startup menu to change Default Programs, but every time I click "Set program access and computer defaults" Works jumps up again and prevents the operation. I feel like Works has taken over my computer and will not let me run any program. There is a glitch somewhere that makes my computer think all programs must be opened with Works, which of course cannot happen because Works is a word-processing program only.

I'm sorry if this is long but I wanted to explained the issue thoroughly. If anyone knows the proper diagnosis of this malfunction and can help remedy the issue, please by all means reply here. This issue has kept me up all night and so far it is taking all day to resolve with no solution in sight.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 January 2016 - 05:00 PM.
deleted email address from the post to protect against spam bots

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Do you have a System Restore Point before the problem? If you placed any files or folders on the desktop after your Restore Point date then move them to the My Documents folder.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

At an elevated command prompt run:  SFC /SCANNOW hit enter, it will examine the files and fix/attempt to repair faults it finds.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 polymathg

polymathg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

I found a way to wipe everything out and start over. It functions well now. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users