Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

extend isp's wifi to my laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 8.1. It has an internal Realtek 802.11 bgn wifi adapter. I use Optimum/Cablevision as my ISP. I often travel to a town where all kinds of reception are poor; I can't even get a clear radio signal to listen to local radio stations on a standard old-fashioned clock radio! There are lots of Optimum hotspots in the town, but they all only seem to work outdoors, albeit poorly outdoors, too.

Is there any kind of extender or adapter I can buy to extend my wireless signal so I can use my laptop indoors? As I visit multiple homes and businesses there, and don't want to plug into each of their routers if I can help it, anything requiring Ethernet cables is not an option. I'm a bit of a hardware luddite, so I can't try to build my own cantenna (and don't know whether that would work anyways.)

I tried calling Optimum for help, and although their customer support usually is great, they couldn't help me with this one.

Thanks, all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:09 AM

I would try a USB wifi card (they sell pretty cheap these days).

Sounds like an antenna issue inside the laptop. Any way the connectors to the internal wifi card can be checked for this?

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

I agree, a USB wifi antenna is the best way to boost your signal. If you want maximum range, buy one with a directional antenna and attach a metal steamer to the antenna so you can focus it even further. I've heard of people getting mile-long ranges with this setup. (note that with a directional antenna, you have to point it in the direction of the access point)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

Thanks to both of you for your help.

I have Windows 8.1, plan to upgrade to Windows 10, and have looked at these two:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N-Wireless-Adapter-External/dp/B002SZEOLG/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452440104&sr=1-6&keywords=usb+directional+antenna&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1096526-REG/tp_link_tl_wa730re_150_mb_s_wireless.html

Is either of these a good choice? Or any idea of a better one (that's hopefully not too expensive)?

Thank you again. 

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:42 AM

They both appear to be valid options.

Before you go buying anything: Is there a friend, relative or associate that may have one (external WiFi card) to test this theory?

Just hate to see one waste $ if at all avoidable.

Were you able to check the on-board WiFi connectors?

Thanks

#6 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Thanks, I do not know how to check on-board WiFi connectors. I read reviews online and decided that my earlier choices won't provide enough amplification; so I went with something much pricier. I went with a reputable seller with a liberal return policy, in case it doesn't work. I ordered this one, and will let you know how it works out (It's on back-order everywhere, so may take a few weeks.) :

http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/aca1.html

#7 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

Sorry, guys, that it took so long. The Amped Wireless device worked so well that I forgot I'd ever had a problem! Case solved.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

Glad you got it solved! Make sure to come back if you have further issues :)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users