Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get XP SP3 Home Acer Laptop to run

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

I cannot login in the usual way as neither the mouse, trackpad or keys work to enable me to select my account. But if I click F8 it does not take me to Safe Mode but enables me to login with the up key and Enter. The desktop eventually appears but there is a wizard to 'install new hardware' for a human interface device. If I am able to select Next and Enter, the wizard reports 'target file exists and is newer than the source', do I want to overwrite the newer file? I dont know the correct answer but anyway I am unable to select a response, the only key working nowis the Power Off button.

I can get into Setup with F2 but do not know if this helps.

What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

If an OEM are you willing to do a factory reset if the recovery partition is intact or are there programs you need?

Does the tab key work to select an account? 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

Why not just do a factory restore/reset/recovery?  Why bother uninstalling programs...when the programs installed may not be the problem?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

To my surprise I have got my XP working OK now (though I still get the wizard popup). I just ignore it and it goes away. The mouse is OK. I have been busy slimming down, uninstalling lots of programs.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

If you download MinitoolBox and check list installed programs, post the log, and I can give some advise on what you should remove if you like.

I would also remove temp files with TFC and do a disk defrag after removing your programs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 January 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

If you really wanted you could put a linux distro such as xububtu or lubuntu, which are supported unlike xp and may be faster.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

My apologies, and thanks for the help.I have no idea how I came to post two different versions of the same topic, it must have been another 'senior moment' I am afraid. It is not only computers that have memory problems. 

My XP is working quite well now, except in one respect: the trackpad does not work at all, while the mouse is OK. Am I right in thinking the Synaptics driver for the trackpad will also be the mouse driver? If so I am reluctant to just update the driver for fear it will mess up the mouse, which has taken me so long to get working. And when I did try to update the driver some months ago I got the response that there is no newer driver available, whereas now I get told that the software the wizard tries to install is older than what is already present. The only 'error messages' I am getting now are to do with this, such as 'found new hardware' and 'need to install software for it'. 

It was Tab which helped me to login, moving the cursor over my account name. Now I can use the mouse from soon after the computer starts.  

I dont want to abandon the XP just yet, I feel there is still some life in it, it is pleasurable using the Laptop for a change now it is working quite smoothly, However, I dont want to spend too much time with it, such as factory reinstall or a different OS, as most of my efforts are directed to struggling with Windows 10 on my 2-in-1 Tablet. The upgrade went alright but the November update (probably) has trashed most of the Microsoft apps (and others) including the Store itself. A number of us are waiting in hope for Microsoft to issue a working fix, we have tried a host of things none of which work.

Details of the XP: Acer Aspire 5001 Laptop, DDR increased to nearly 1000MB some years ago.60 GB HDD

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

The mouse and trackpad are two separate drivers. According to the manual of the 5000 series Fn+F7 toggles the touchpad on and off. Do you see a yellow exclamation mark next to your Mouse and and other pointing devices in Device Manager?

#9 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

Thanks John. Fn+F7 has got the trackpad working OK. In fact I now remember being told about that (probably in this forum) some months ago but had totally forgotten. If you had not told me again I would have spent ages messing about with the wrong things, maybe doing more harm than good. My W10 Tablet does not have a key for switching touchpad on / off. I always want it on anyway.

No, there is no exclamation mark in Device Manager. Everything seems to be OK except for the 'new hardware notification' when I log on. I see in the Manager that the drive(s) for the Mouse / trackpad date from 2001. I could try updating but as they are working well now I guess I should leave them alone. I have found opinions about updating drivers to be quite divided, some arguing for keeping them up to date and others saying 'if its not broke dont fix it.'

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Glad you got back your trackpad. If the computer is running fine then do not update the drivers. "If it's not broke don't fix it" especially pertains to drivers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users