Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get beyond login screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

I have not used my XP (SP3) Home laptop for some months as I have replaced it with a Windows 10 2-in-1 tablet. But I now want to uninstall a lot of programs from the XP it to see if it will run better, it was desperately slow before I gave up on it. I have succeeded it launching it just once, to run Avast and Malwarebytes, but then it froze.

Now I cannot get beyond the login page in the normal way as neither the mouse nor trackpad work so I cannot select my account. But by clicking F8 (which does not take me to Safe Mode) and using the Enter key I am able to log in to the desktop, where I am presented with a wizard to install the driver for a human interface device (mouse). Sometimes the cursor is in the wrong place in order to select Next but sometimes it is in the right place, and Enter launches the wizard.  Eventually I get informed that 'the target file exists and is newer than the source.' Do I want to overwrite the newer file?  I do not know whether this should be yes or no (I suspect no) but anyway I am stuck again, none of the keys are working except for the power off button.

I can get into Setup with F2

The mouse / trackpad were playing up before I stopped using the XP.

I would like to get it working again, it still has its uses.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

You also posted about this issue here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601185/cannot-get-xp-sp3-home-acer-laptop-to-run/ In that topic you indicated that the system is now working.

Please do not start multiple topics about the same issue. It is confusing for you and those helping you. It can also delay the help process.

This topic is closed. The other one will remain open.

Reply by hamluis in this topic merged into your other topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users