Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Quick Launch Icons Disappear Upon Reboot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

I did a clean install, using the Media Creation Tool, of Windows 10 Pro x64 on my Maingear Shift computer (i7 processor, 16 GB RAM) a few weeks ago.  I created a number of Quick Launch icons (to the right of the Start Button), and they have survived several weeks and innumerable reboots as I reinstalled all of my programs.  This morning, out of the blue, (no programs installed for week now) and no changes to the computer of which I am aware, the Quick Launch icons themselves do not appear.  The area of the toolbar, which shows Quick Launch is enabled (you can see the double bars on either side), is there, but there are no icons inside of the Quick Launch area.

I have run sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth from an elevated command prompt.  SFC reported no resource integrity violations, and DISM reported that the restore operation was successful.

I also followed the POWERSHELL instructions in this Microsoft article: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-quick-launch-toolbar-disappears-on/193a4890-9413-41a4-abea-f56688ba5eeb?auth=1 but it had no effect, though it too reported success.

What is interesting is that when I go the left column of the Start Menu, and under "Most Used" and right click on Google Chrome, it shows as pinned to the Taskbar.  When I unpin it, the other five of six Quick Launch icons that I had pinned weeks ago to the Quick Launch Toolbar suddenly appear.  Then I right click the Google Chrome entry in the "Most Used" column again and pin it to the Taskbar and it reappears.  All is well, until I reboot, then it is back to the same old situation of missing Quick Launch icons.

I have done a lot of searching on Google, but haven't found an explanation for this behaviour.  I have turned on and off the Quick Launch toolbar, but that has made no difference.  I have warm-booted and cold-booted without effect.

Any ideas ... ?  I love a good mystery.  Windows 10 does have its quirks.   :)  If you require any additional information, scans, or logs, please let me know.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

What happens if you uninstall Chrome and then reboot?

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following (immediately after the problem occurs with the taskbar):
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• 3,851 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

usasma:

Thank you for your reply.  I don't wish to appear ungrateful at all.   I know my temps are good - I have AIDA64 Extreme and monitor them.  There have been no BSODS, except one, weeks ago, since I did the clean install of Windows 10.  The issue is not with Chrome, I am sure.  That just happened to be the one of the six icons that I had pinned to my taskbar, and it was conveniently found in the "Most Used" list on the Start menu, so I used it to experiment.

I did some further research on the issue and found this Microsoft Community link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/fix-windows-10-taskbar-not-working-fix-build-10074/6b13e8b6-b30b-4e80-aa7c-a4a3939195ea?page=34

It is a very active thread and the problem seems related to one or more Windows updates.  I am a little leery of messing with my clean install, which has been working just great, until the missing Taskbar icon issue this morning.

I will run the EventViewer tomorrow if, and I expect it will, the problem returns.  I have to go now for the day.  I will post the log, no harm in that and who knows what you might find.  I have great respect for your knowledge, skill, and dedication - thank you from all of us who you help.  I suspect though that MS caused this problem and MS will have to fix it.  I really don't want to go mucking about trying to "patch" a Windows 10 Update, just to get hammered with the next Windows 10 Update ... 

Have a great day, and thank you again, usasma.  I'll be back tomorrow with a link to the Event Viewer logs; or, notice that the problem "miraculously" disappeared.  One can hope! :)

Regards,

-Phil

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:43 AM

I'd still suggest that you uninstall Chrome and see what happens.  It's only a few extra steps to reinstall it.

Chrome stores it's preferences/bookmarks/etc in the AppData folder - so you can easily back them up.

I understand what you're saying and will await the logs.

I'm not an expert at Windows Updates - so my knowledge of them isn't great.

I don't know much about PowerShell either.

But the only way to get Microsoft to fix it (if it is a Microsoft issue), is to report it to them.

Finally, I find that most "Windows Update" problems are actually problems with outdated/incompatible 3rd party programs.

So that's the first place that I suggest checking.

Oh, and just a thought.  Try this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all 3rd party (non-Microsoft) extensions, then reboot and see if that helps

If it does, you can re-enable them in groups of 5 or so to help narrow down the problem.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• 3,851 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:12 AM

usasma:

Thank you for your reply.  I replicated the problem with notepad.exe (one of my six taskbar icons), unpinning and repinning, and the remaining five icons reappeared and then I just pinned notepad.exe back, to have my full complement of six taskbar icons.  So the problem is not with Chrome as far as I can tell.

Here is the link to the logs: https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/X0h%2FJ1ox7FF%2B6JCNJyLVxA

Note that I had to run the BSOD Inspector twice.  My Bitdefender 2016 Total Security Ransomware module did not like what it was doing, so I had to disable that module, and run BSOD Inspector again to get it to complete successfully.

Microsoft should be aware of the issue, since it is being reported in their Commmunity Forums, per the link in my previous post. I think I will continue to monitor that thread and see what solutions are offered or whether MS issues a Windows 10 update to fix the problem. I am reluctant to stumble around and possibly corrupt my nice clean install.

Thanks for all of your help. If you find anything interesting in the logs, I would be interested. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

#6 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• 3,851 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

usasma:

Just to add to the mystery, I just booted up my computer and my task bar icons were there.  I checked and don't see any new Windows updates.  Perhaps running the diagnostics that you suggested "shook" something loose and fixed the issue ... ?

Will monitor and keep you posted.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

Just because it's reported in the forums doesn't mean that the OS developers are aware of it.

It seems to me that you've had the miracle that you wrote about:

I'll be back tomorrow with a link to the Event Viewer logs; or, notice that the problem "miraculously" disappeared.

I'll hold off on the analysis and will wait and see if the problems recur.

Good luck!

#8 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• 3,851 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

usasma:

Thank you for your reply.  The miracle continues.  The taskbar icons appeared this morning when I started up my computer.  Don't you just really like Windows 10 mysteries?  :)

I will continue to monitor the situation.  Odd, is all I can say for now.  Have a great day, usasma.

Regards,

-Phil

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Things were so much simpler in the DOS/WFW 3.11 era.

And, although I miss those days, there's so much more that we can do with systems these days!

Unfortunately, in return for the added features, the system has increased complexity - which makes it more difficult to troubleshoot.

#10 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• 3,851 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

usasma:

Thanks for your post.  I hear you.   :)  My first computer had a 20 MB drive (standard was 10 MB back in 1988) and I added 384 KB of "Enhanced" memory, for a grand RAM total of 1 MB!  I had a number of applications on that computer (WordPerfect 4.2, dBASE III, Supercalc, Xtree Pro, and Norton Utilities.  When all was loaded, with the DOS 3.2 included, I still had about 15 MB free on the hard drive!  The price of the software nearly equaled the cost of the computer.

On first boot this AM, the icons were, gone, but I put them back by unpinning one, which restored all but that icon, and then pinned that icon back.  On the next boot, all of the icons were there.  Go figure ...  No major issue.  Just takes less than a minute to restore them, but I will be happy when MS fixes this "enhanced feature."

I am not complaining.  Lots of folks have a lot more, and very serious, problems with WinX.  I am really glad that I followed the excellent advice here and went with the Clean Install via the Media Creation Tool.  At least I know the minor glitches that I am experiencing are not the result of "garbage" imported from my previous Windows 7 install, which was four years old.

Thanks for your help and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#11 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• 3,851 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

usasma:

I just came across this thread on the Bitdefender Forums, which I visit daily.  The OP is correct.  The behaviour started when I activated the Bitdefender Ransomware Protection.  Hopefully Bitdefender will fix this glitch.

Just wanted to report back what was the cause of the problem, in the hope that it will help others.

Thank you for your help.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Phil!  I'll pass that on as I encounter issues with BitDefender.

#13 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• 3,851 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:44 AM

John:

Just a further update.  On the Bitdefender Forum link I cited in my previous update, more information has since been provided.  This "disappearing" task bar icon issue only happens when the "Desktop" folder is being protected by the Bitdefender 2016 Anti-Ransomware module.  If you remove the "Desktop" folder from the list of protected folders, the problem is resolved.

No word on whether, or when, Bitdefender is going to fix this issue.

Bottom line: it not not necessary to disable the Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware module.  A user only needs to "unprotect" the "Desktop" folder.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:20 AM

Thanks!

#15 Justsaytweak

Justsaytweak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

I just want to thank you all on this one. I have searched and searched. This was exactly what was going on with mine and yes the fix was to remove desktop from the Bitdefender Ransomware portion of the software. I cannot thank you enough! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users