Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I update drivers on windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

Whats the best way of updating my drivers on windows 7 please?

I have a 32 bit chip. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:27 AM

I do not claim that it is the best way, but device drivers can be updated using the driver update facility in Windows 7.

1. Click on the Start button at the bottom left of the screen

2. In the line with "Search for programs and files" written in it, type "Device Manager" and then open Device Manager by clicking on it in the window that comes up. A warning that administrator permission is need to change anything might come up but that can be ignored for the time being.

3. In the Device Manager window, select the device you are interested in and click on it - for example Monitors - then click on the subfolder which describes the actual device you have.

4. In the window that comes up, click on "Change Settings" - administrator permission is now required.

5.Click on the driver tag and then Update Driver.

I am personally wary of updating drivers unless there is some need to do it. There are probably quicker ways of doing it than what  have described.

#3 joseftriumf

joseftriumf

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:32 AM

If a driver is missing, I check on the internet, tehir is a good drivers sites , jut type in google for example :  " Dell e727 Drivers " or type " All PC drivers ".

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:40 AM

Are you having a problem that makes you think it is driver related? Really, no need to risk installing a new driver unless you are having some problem.

In other words...if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

I wouldn't trust any 3rd party site to scan for or provide the correct driver. They are well known to get it wrong and install adware...malicious crapola.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:55 AM

In other words...if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

I agree completely.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

I'd like to know something about the system.  There are very few 32-bit chips in use today...but there are a large number of 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems in use.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#7 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

There are very few 32-bit chips in use today

It's on my pc so I'll have to make do until I have no choice but to upgrade my tower :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users