Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security essentials will not reinstall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:44 AM

OK so, MSE stopped working for me, I kill the proccess, try and restart the program, nothing happens, I originally had it to be scanning my laptop once a week, I got defender running full blast

But lately, the last 36 hours in fact, MSE just stopped responding to me, it wont open, wont stop scanning, nothing works at all. So I followed the steps on Microsoft's own websiite to get it to work, uninstall the software, restart the laptop, reinstall the software,

I've restarted this laptop 9 times in ONE hour trying to fix the dang thing NOTHING worked, It wont install, it keeps giving me the error "0x8004ff01" Basically, my install files are shot, and even clearing it all out {used the code provided} did absolute nothing.

So I gave up with MSE, trying to install the dang thing results in that one single error only. No way to get past it.

I have MBAM and WinDef though; so I should be OK right ?

If this is in the wrong forum forgive me mods, I couldn't find a proper place to post this.

If anyone has a step by step guide I can go by, please let me know

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

Hi:

I have MBAM and WinDef though; so I should be OK right ?

If this is in the wrong forum forgive me mods, I couldn't find a proper place to post this.

If anyone has a step by step guide I can go by, please let me know

You don't mention what version of Windows, but it sounds like Win7?

If so, NO, you are not "OK" with just Windows Defender and MBAM (even if it's MBAM Premium).

In Win7, Windows Defender is just a weak, anti-malware/antispyware application, not an AV.

MBAM Premium is not an AV, either -- it is a specialized anti-malware application designed to complement a robust real-time AV.

(And MBAM Free is just a manual, on-demand scanner with NO real-time protection.)

Someone more facile with MSE will need to assist you with reinstalling or replacing it.

Cheers,

MM

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:13 AM

Thing is, I tried everything that MS had available, all their steps, everything, none of it worked, I keep getting the EXACT SAME error every time I try to install MSE, it wont even TRY to install either it just goes directly to the error code of 0x8004ff01, doesn't even TRY to install whatsoever

And yes, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

I can't install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Sometimes installations fail for an unknown reason. Other times, you receive an error message with error code, such as 0x80070643, 0X8007064A, 0x8004FF2E, 0x8004FF01, 0x8004FF07, 0x80070002, 0x8007064C, 0x8004FF00, 0x80070001, 0x80070656, 0x8004FF40, 0xC0000156, 0x8004FF41 0x8004FF0B, 0x8004FF11, 0x80240022, 0x8004FF04, 0x80070660, 0x800106B5, 0x80070715, 0x80070005, 0x8004EE00, 0x8007003, 0x800B0100, 0x8007064E, 0x8004FF6F, or 0x8007007E.

Also see...

If the above does not correct the problem, you can contact Microsoft Support and submit a support case.

Or if you want to replace MSE, please refer to Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

Unfortunately I have tried all three of those, and had even left a notice on MS's answers forum, nothing worked; it just WONT get past that error, I try to install, it says "preparing to install" then click on NEXT, BAM it goes directly to that error. none of the removal or untilites work either.

What I want in a AV program, MSE was perfect for, it checked for viruses passively when I didn't have to worry about it, MSE merely removed viruses, not scann for junk files not wanted or needed {when I actually want those junk files to begin with} I am trying 360 Total Security which I found through MS 's site directly on their list of certified antivrius software.

I want something 100% free; I had thought of Zone Alarm, yet I used MSE for 7 years up until yesterday. Then it started glitching out on me and MS is apparently aware of the problem but didn't bother to worry about it

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Qihoo is a Chinese-based provider of free security and Anti-virus software (360 Total Security, 360 Internet Security, 360 Browser, 360 Security, 360 Mobile Safe, 360 Vault, etc). There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Qihoo to include it's reporting other anti-virus software and search tools as being malicious, deceptive marketing practices and various privacy issues.

AV Comparatives, AV TEST and Virus Bulletin make allegations of inappropriate behavior by Qihoo 360

...three of the worlds most renowned and trusted security testing bodies, AV Comparatives, AV? TEST and Virus Bulletin, stand united to censure security vendor Qihoo 360 after finding the firm submitted products for comparative and certification testing which behaved significantly differently from those made available to its users and customers. The three testing bodies will revoke all certifications and rankings awarded to the companys products so far this year, and going forward will insist on more open and fair dealings to ensure users are provided with the most accurate information possible. Investigations by the three labs found that all products submitted for testing by Qihoo had one of the products four available engines, provided by Bitdefender, enabled by default, while a second, Qihoos own QVM engine, was never enabled. This included versions posted to ostensibly public sections of the companys websites....

More information in these articles:

If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

I'm staying as far away as I can from both Avast and AVG {both are trigger happy and very annoying and resource hoggy as heck on my machines}, I've had very poor experiences with them. Now, 360 Security I use on my phone {and android} and it works EXACTLY how I want it, its add free, works in the background, and helps me out when I'm in a bind.

I COULD try bitdefender free I think, but tomorrow I am taking my machine up to the local coputer chopshop/smallshop for advice and see if they can't get MSE back up and running. Everything I have tried wont work, all of them online installers, uninstallers, if there is something messed up an online uninstaller downl,oad will only make it worse for me. So I'm going to take this rig up to a pro and see what they can do, if they can do anything

Dont get me wrong, Bleeping Computer I go to first when I cant get to Sunset Systems for advice or help; Once I try everything here provided for me and none of it works, I go to Sunset for aid, and lately, they've been more then helpful in getting me back on my feet {for example 8 years ago I had OS failure, they DVDRW'ed a copy of Win PX Pro for me for free because I had the blank DVD on me, I ran the system off the DVD and reinstalled my OS at the time, since then I still have that exact OS still installed on my old laptop, and its still virus free {though I have not used it since June of last year}}

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

I have found that Microsoft Support isn't always very helpful in regards to troubleshooting issues with MSE and Defender 8/10.

I hope the repair shop is able to resolve things. Sometimes it is easier to do that when physically sitting in front of the computer vice providing instructions on a forum board where you can't really see what is going on.

#9 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

GOOD NEWS!

Sunset took a look and said to "just keep an eye on 360" and if something goes wrong, take it to them to handle/fix. Other then that, their advice they would have given me that I ended up doing before going to them {giving up on fixing MSE and going with something else} is in good standing! Apparently their advice was to give up on MSE and go with something else that I trust, in this case, my phones security {360 Total Security for Android} I trust greatly, so I figure to at least try it out on my laptop, if all else fails I think I may move to Kaspersky Security Suite {which I have found a few times at Walmart and Target stores}

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

As long as you are satisfied, that's what counts in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users