Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Power options in The Control panel WILL NOT open (among other things)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Freeasabird

Freeasabird

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

Power problem

Hi, Im having a few issues with my... POS computer :/ now, I need to look at my power options because my computer keeps shutting down unexpectedly like *Snaps finger* That. yah know?. its not like my game closes and the computer goes to shut down. it just ..Turns off. now i have a suspicion that its my power box that's doing this. to much power is being used and it..well, shuts off. or my graphics card is too hot or something and it shuts off because of that perhaps. But sometimes it does this and my card is cool.

But anyways I need to look at my Power options but when i click on it ...Nothing happens. that little loading sprite appears on my mouse cursor for like, a split second and then nothing. IT JUST WON'T OPEN.

I looked at other forums that showed me where a spare copy of power options is deep in the computer's files, i clicked on that and same thing happened, Nothing. it just won't let me get into my power options. idk wtf is going on with that. like, is there a way to FORCE it to open? O_O idk do something that makes it open? is there a program i can download to fix this? theres one for the Recycle bin. :/

Search function

It's the same with my Search function as well, i click on it and it won't open. there isn't even a loading sprite, it just doesn't work. I click on My computer/preload C: and there's this other search option available in the left side, i click on "Search for files or folders" it takes me to a little window with search text boxes, i scroll down and click on "Click here to use search companion" and, hm, it usually takes me to another screen where i enter what i'm trying to search for and it says some kind of error message, it doesn't work now otherwise i'd be more specific on what it says. >:/ WHAT do i do with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dejavou42

dejavou42

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:52 PM

If you are unable to open certain system windows, I would suspect system file corruption. However, you probably shouldn't start in power options, as these options generally control your pc when idle. You should start by looking in the event viewer for any error messages.When your system restarts randomly, it is essentially BSODing, but the current settings tell it to automatically restart. This usually happens due to faulty hardware or corrupt drivers.

control panel --> administrative tools --> event viewer --> system filter (on left of window) please respond with any error messages that appear around the time of random restarts.

Also recommended:

check your hard drive for errors:

windows key + R --> type in cmd --> press enter --> type "chkdsk /r /f c:" --> press enter 

This will take a good bit of time depending on the size of your HDD. It will check and attempt to repair errors on your hard drive.

Check for system file integrity:

In the same command prompt --> type "sfc /scannow" --> press enter. (you may need to place your windows cd/dvd in the drive for this)

This will check the windows files to verify that they are authentic. (i.e not corrupt/hijacked by virus)

#3 Freeasabird

Freeasabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:27 AM

Okay, i looked at My Control panel, and i'm not seeing Admin tools anywhere. i see BDE administrator but that's about it. and yeah the other suggestion you mentioned is not going to work because i don't have a Windows CD service pack 3 whatever CD i installed SP3 through the computer as an update. I HAD a windows CD at some point but bleeped if i know where it ended up.

E: How would i get another Windows CD? can i order a new one?

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2016 - 01:17 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 Trakstarz

Trakstarz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

Run a virus scan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users