Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer was/is dying, thought I had figured out the issue...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Unaplix

Unaplix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Hi everyone,

Last week my computer decided to start dying on me - just as I had bought some games from the Steam winter sale... To start off, let me share my setup with you:

ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA socket 1155

Intel CPU 1155 i5-3570K

be quiet! Dark Rock 3

Corsair SSD 120GB

Corsair Dominator 16GB DDR3

ASUS Radeon R9 280X 3GB

Corsair 650W PSU

NZXT Phantom 820

Now to the issue/issues I've had/have:

It all started with my computer being unable to startup properly. Basically, it would boot up to the extent that the fans (both graphic card, and otherwise) would start to spin and the computer LEDs would light up for about 1-2 seconds and then the computer would shut down. This would rinse and repeat until you shut it off. I had seen my computer behave this way once previously. The solution then was to switch the PSU off and on again. This time, however, that didn't work. I thought, "alright, maybe there's something wrong with the PSU?" and tried my boyfriend's PSU instead. Still the same problem - boot loop without even getting past the POST beep. After this, I tried all the things you're supposed to: going through the RAM and making sure they weren't the culprits. removing the graphics card, removing SSD/HDDs, removing basically everything without success. This all led us to believe that it was the motherboard. Luckily I had a coworker who was selling his motherboard (MSI Z77A-G43 Gaming mobo, which is compatible with my LGA1155).

I picked it up, switched out all the parts, and booted the computer. My first reaction was, "yaaay, it boots!", but this quickly turned back into dismay as I wasn't getting a POST beep, no signal to my screen either... At this point I was like, "well what the hell is it now, the graphics card?!". We tried some things, like my boyfriend's screen, PSU, switching out memories, etc - still nothing, no signal, no beep. Annoyingly enough, it did work when we took the graphics card out and booted without it. I just assumed that my graphics card was broke, but my boyfriend decided to test it on his own rig back home and low and behold it worked BUT(!) not through the DVI port (which I'm using and he on his rig at my place)... and not on the first display port, but the second port. Now we plan on testing with his screen, with my computer, but meanwhile I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar issue? We're both finding it really weird, the issue/issues don't seem consistent and it feels really sudden.

I also tried breadboarding thinking maybe the chassis was causing the issue 'cause you never know, but nope, still the same issue (MSI motherboard + my graphics card = no signal, no POST beep). I looked through several pages of the forum but couldn't find anything similar to my issue. If I missed something relevant, please let me know and I'll make sure to check that out.

The last thing I remember that changed in my "environment" is that I downloaded and installed new AMD drivers. I doubt this would be the problem though because when I previously experienced the boot loop was before the update.

I'd really appreciate any piece of advise or next-troubleshooting-step!

PS: I saw no physical damage on my motherboard or graphics card for that matter that would suggest electrical burn or such.

Edited by Unaplix, 02 January 2016 - 10:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dejavou42

dejavou42

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:26 AM

First, you need to test the mobos for basic signs of life: both mobos seem to have integrated graphics.

The first mobo (asus) has a hdmi port that can be hooked to a tv. The second (msi) has a vga and dvi port. 

Remove the video card from the mobo, hook pc up to monitor/tv, clear the cmos settings (this is to reset the graphics to internal vs. video card), remove all hard drives and cd/dvd/bd drives, try to boot the system. If you get a video output, atleast we know that the mobo is good. Note to clear the cmos settings, look for a jumper on the mobo labeled "clr_cmos" or "reset_bios" etc. you will need a jumper cap to connect these two pins. Usually the method is to short these pins and power the system on, but please refer to the manual for the mobo for more details.

If this doesn't work, try to boot the system without the ram modules installed. The mobo speaker should beep in a certain pattern to indicate that ram modules are not installed. At this point I would suspect a faulty cpu or damaged cpu header pins.

#3 Unaplix

Unaplix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

>First, you need to test the mobos for basic signs of life: both mobos seem to have integrated graphics.

The first mobo (asus) has a hdmi port that can be hooked to a tv. The second (msi) has a vga and dvi port.<

- The asus card was tested without any components, still wouldn't boot. The second does boot, just not with my graphics card. However, my boyfriend tested the graphics card in his computer back home, and it did work, just not through the use of DVI, but Display Port 2 (Display Port 1 didn't work).

>Remove the video card from the mobo, hook pc up to monitor/tv, clear the cmos settings (this is to reset the graphics to internal vs. video card), remove all hard drives and cd/dvd/bd drives, try to boot the system. If you get a video output, atleast we know that the mobo is good. Note to clear the cmos settings, look for a jumper on the mobo labeled "clr_cmos" or "reset_bios" etc. you will need a jumper cap to connect these two pins. Usually the method is to short these pins and power the system on, but please refer to the manual for the mobo for more details.

If this doesn't work, try to boot the system without the ram modules installed. The mobo speaker should beep in a certain pattern to indicate that ram modules are not installed. At this point I would suspect a faulty cpu or damaged cpu header pins.<

- Basically, the current state of my issue is that I can boot the computer, just not with my graphics card. At least not on the DVI port, and I haven't had the opportunity to test out Display Port 2 in my setup. I will do this, but in the meanwhile I've requested an RMA from the reseller of my graphics card. Have to see what they will say. Bottom line is that I don't want to have a graphics card with ports that don't work.

One of my colleagues mentioned that he had had the exact same problem once, but that it had solved itself just like the first time for me. His computer was stuck in a 1-2 second boot loop, but he left it alone for a while, came back and it worked fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users