Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubleshooting PC crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rballhills

rballhills

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hello,

Before I begin, I will lay out my PC specs:

Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Black Edition (overclocked via ASUS Bios overclock function, no manual changes on voltages)

GPU: Geforce GTX 550 ti

PSU: Corsair TX 650 watt

RAM: 2 4gb sticks Corsair Vengeance DD3 1600

Enermax CPU cooler

Artic MX-2 paste applied to CPU.

*All temps monitored by HWInfo.  CPU core kept within 10 - 40 degrees tops with CPU intensive gaming.  GPU kept below 70.

While I was playing Starcraft 2, my PC suddenly froze (with current image on screen) (no BSOD) and ctrl alt del did not work, so I had to manually shut off my PC.  After several attempts at powering back on, nothing showed up on my monitor (as if it could not get a signal) but my computer appeared to be running normally "behind the scenes".  At this point I assumed my video card might have died.  I tried installing a new EVGA GT 720 and had the same symptoms.  Also, my PSU fan, GPU fan, CPU fan, and case fans all work when powering system on.  Note: The GT 720 differed from my original card in that it is only about half the size of the slot (I was told this did not matter). I also tried removing my RAM and installing a new 8 gb Hyper Fury stick.  This also did not work.  I have also tried 2 difference monitors including 1 via VGA and my TV via HDMI -- neither of these loaded a picture either.  I am now thinking my CPU and/or mobo died but I don't have any other systems to test them on.  I would rather not pay someone to diagnose it when it's cheaper to just purchase new parts.  Where should I go from here?  Should I try installing a new CPU and then if that doesn't work try a new mobo?  Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks a lot,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

FWIW:  Although CPUs do fail on occasion...I would think that the motherboard would be more of a suspect than the CPU.  Before I suspected either...I would be inclined to test a different PSU.

Louis

#3 rballhills

rballhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

Thank you Louis!  It appears to be a bad PSU.  Strange considering it was only 2 years old.  Perhaps it sucked in too much dust?  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:34 AM

Hmm...this is idle, unproven speculation on my part but suspecting dust for component failure is not the direction that I would go.  I'm not smart enough to even inquire about the reasons for PSU failures...I just know that I consider PSU just behind hard drives when it comes to failure rates impacting the system.

In any case, glad that you seem to have resolved it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users