Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive running at 100% while idle

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 godsgoo

godsgoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

System Specification:
Windows 10 Home (Windows 8 OEM originally)

- CPU: AMD FX-6300

- MB: BIOSTAR TA970

- GPU: ATI AMD Radeon 7700

- HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003

- PSU: Corsair CX430

- Build Date: 09/2013

Current Usage:

- Gaming: Rocket League, CS:GO, Runescape

- Skype, Spotify, Netflix etc.

- Uni work - Java coding

Current problems:

- If left turned off at plug for 8+ hours it will no boot correctly.

- Hard Drive running at 100% at idle with no write speeds from any application (http://puu.sh/mhklv.png)

- On startup I am recieving the message 'Reboot and select proper boot device...'

- BIOS failing to identify HDD, but still letting me boot windows.

Questions:

- Can these problems be fixed? Or would buying a new computer be more sensible?

- Is there a problem with my PSU?

- Is there a problem with my HDD? If so, do I need a new one?

- If I need a new HDD, how do I go about transfering Windows OS over?

- Would it be cost effective to buy a new HDD or just spend a bit more for a laptop?

More info:

I've had problems with my computer for about 8 months now. It has been getting progressively worse since then. I turned my computer on today for the first time in 3 weeks as I left it at Uni. for the winter break. It has been barely usuable since I returned. My HDD runs at 100% with no visible write speed, even when it is close to idle/completely idle (see http://puu.sh/mhklv.png). I have no clue what is causing it, I suspect it is the hard drive failing. I initially thought it was Windows10 updating in the background slowing down my computer but I don't see why it would be taking up so many resources all of the time.

The first problem with the computer started occuring ~July '15. It would shutdown after the BIOS if the computer had not been plugged in. On a second try it would boot properly but be excessively slow, causing me to restart after I had logged in to my user account.. This happened for a good 6-8 weeks, my dad would turn off all electricity in the room with my computer. No doubt this damaged the computer.

Also around this time I started experiencing the 100% disk speed problem.

Now when I turn on the computer it will give the message 'Reboot and select proper boot device...' post-bios. When I enter the BIOS to select the HDD it is not there, it only picks up on my DVD drive and SD Card reader. However when I exit the BIOS it will just boot from the HDD. It's odd.

I am sure I have left information out, so please ask for it. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:56 AM

I think it is HDD problems, do you have any PC to try use it?

Download CrystalDiskInfo from here, run it and posts a screenshot.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users