Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft says, "Windows 7 Has Serious Problems ??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

Is this just another ploy by MS to scare users into upgrading?

Found this article and thought it was of interest.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/01/02/microsoft-windows-7-problems/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&ref=yfp

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2016 - 05:51 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,424 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

Speaking to Windows Weekly, Microsoft Marketing chief Chris Capossela explained that users who choose Windows 7 do so “at your own risk, at your own peril” and he revealed Microsoft has concerns about its future software and hardware compatibility, security and more.

Microsoft must be desperate to increase Windows 10 share. The above is spreading FUD IMO and Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves. Microsoft has more than enough compatibility issues with Windows 10.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

You are spot on John. MS must not be on track to meet projected goals of Win X upgrades. I think MS has gone far beyond being aggressive and has reached a new low, IMO.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

+1

Just to clarify 

FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) is the term for any strategy intended to make a company's customers insecure about future product plans with the purpose of discouraging them from adopting competitors' products.

I didn't know

Hedge

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

Just when you think they (M$) cannot sink any deeper and lower...

I don't care anymore. Windows 7 + SP1 + NO further updates is my last Windows!

Please don't get me started on security, just Wireshark Windows 10 and be amazed...

In the (free) Linux-world we call such a thing a botnet...  :whistle:

botnet is a number of Internet-connected computers communicating with other similar machines in an effort to complete repetitive tasks and objectives.

Source: Wikipedia

Greets!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

Well...that tactic by MS is to be expected, IMO.

It's the same one employed by just about every organization that has something they want to sell...with the exception being that "new/improved" replaces the "grave concerns" expressed about the previous version.

I suppose that MS learned that the "new/improved" tactic did not work so well with XP users and it wasn't until all support dropped from XP that it was able to move Win 7 into a greater market share.

I guess that the MS marketing boys have finally been asked to earn their salaries...and the result is a campaign against products which became ientrenched in the market.  Market entrenchment is not good for a given version when the marketing/development boys are trying to transform Windows into a limited lifetime product where "new" versions can increase revenues more aggressively than has been done with the last 3 iterations of Windows.

The problem with that line of thought that I see...Windows has more alternatives today than ever before...and some users realize that "new/improved" versions are not necessarily what they want or need :).  Success at one end curtails market growth at the other end for MS and I suspect that their "version strategy" needs serious revision.

I think that they will have to pull support from Win 7 before users seriously consider going to a different O/S...and with linux becoming more user-friendly every day...that next O/S won't be Win 10, Win 11, or Win whatever :).  I think that it will be interesting to see what the OEMs do regarding installed O/Ses over the next couple of years.  They have favored MS in the past because of ease of use...but I think now is a great opportunity for a gradual switch to linux as the installed O/S of choice.

Louis

LOL...I just looked at the linked article and saw that it was a Marketing spokesperson opining.  It all fits, IMO.

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged posts sans quoted text from article - Hamluis.

Microsoft Marketing chief Chris Capossela says "users who choose Windows 7 do so at your own risk, at your own peril.”

Gordon Kelly says that is COMPLETE RUBBISH!. See his article at Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems - Forbes

If he chose his words wisely....that "right threat balance" should help to understand, in my opinion, that Microsoft is willing to walk very close if not across the line of doing something that will really anger Windows 7 and 8.1 users.

Read the entire article in the link above.

Removed oversized unnecessary graphic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2016 - 05:57 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:18 AM

Hamluis Post #6 ....."Well...that tactic by MS is to be expected, IMO."

MS can do nothing more that will be of a surprise to me considering previous and existing ploys utilized.

buddy215 Post #7 ......."If he chose his words wisely....that "right threat balance" should help to understand, in my opinion, that Microsoft is willing to walk very close if not across the line of doing something that will really anger Windows 7 and 8.1 users."

In my opinion, MS has already crossed that line and there are a multitude of Win 7 users who are likely seriously thinking of alternatives as am I.

#9 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

I've been saying this for years now - even been using the car analogy ("You must go out and buy our newest car RIGHT NOW, because our older cars are just too dangerous to drive!") - and trying to point out the ridiculousness of the situation. So I'm glad to know that others are starting to see it now, too.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

They can have our Windows 7 when they pry it from our cold dead OEM hard drives.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

Is this just another ploy by MS to scare users into upgrading?

Found this article and thought it was of interest.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/01/02/microsoft-windows-7-problems/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&ref=yfp

Typical MS

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 January 2016 - 04:57 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users