Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows alert message box won't go away.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ttricktt

ttricktt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a computer with what I'm describing as a stuck  windows alert message box, it's mostly empty except for a font icon in the middle of the it. The alert box will not exit. I've also included a picture of it.

Things I have done.

Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner

CCleaner including fix registry.

autoruns, disabled any suspicious apps.

Ran Process explorer and killed any processes that look  suspicious or not needed.

Booted into safemode.

No broken devices in device manager.

MS Updates.

None of these methods have removed the box.

Now I have run Process Monitor during startup and am now reviewing the logs, i'm hoping someone can suggest what to look for in process monitor log files.

Something else, if you do a screen capture the black box isn't in the picture that's why I took a picture of the screen.

Crazy!

Thanks, Rick

Attached Files

Edited by ttricktt, 02 January 2016 - 04:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.

In the menu that opens select Command Prompt (Admin).

When the command prompt opens copy the commands below one at a time and press Enter after each command.

This will rebuild the Icon Cache.

Notice:  The last command will restart the computer.

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F

DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A

shutdown /r /f /t 00

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Edited by dc3, 03 January 2016 - 11:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ttricktt

ttricktt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hi dc3,

Thanks for your recommendation, but unfortunately it didn't work. I should add that the box that is displayed stays in the for-ground. So when you're trying to use an app the box is on top of your app.

-Rick

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

Hi,

Is the box always on screen for example during boot?

Could it be something from the monitor? try pressing all the buttons on it!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 ttricktt

ttricktt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Thanks SleepyDude, 

No the box was showing up after windows started.

Some good news, it went away! I started the computer from the previous day and the box was gone. Weird?

Thanks for the help guys.

Rick

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

Thanks SleepyDude, 
No the box was showing up after windows started.

Some good news, it went away! I started the computer from the previous day and the box was gone. Weird?

Indeed!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

It's just trying to lull  you into a false sense of security. :P

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users