Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving MS-Outlook Data from PC to Mac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hello All,

This topic could fit any of several places, but since it's quite specific to MS-Outlook I thought I'd post it here.   I have a potential client who is transitioning from 8-year-old HP laptops to the Macbook Pro.   As far as getting data generically over from one platform to another I think I'm good.  However, my past experiences with trying to "direct port" Outlook data, and the last one is some years ago, have been problematic, at best, and never crossed platforms.

If anyone has tips & tricks, advice, or step-by-step instructions for doing an MS-Outlook data port from PC to Mac such that one can then fire up Outlook on the Mac and have all prior information "simply appear" in a "plug-n-play" manner I'd love to hear it.

Since all Outlook data is located in the .pst file for a given user (if memory serves) getting that copied over should be easy.  It's then a matter of getting Outlook to use that file, with all the e-mail messages, accounts, contacts, etc., that I'm not quite sure about.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you have to offer.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

Are you going into Outlook for Mac? It looks as if Microsoft claims there should be a direct import for .pst. This should bring over contacts, calendar, and emails.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Import-a-pst-file-from-Outlook-for-Windows-1bebc2d6-3683-4d93-aad6-385ff06de1e8

As for account settings, you need to manually pull that. I recommend MailPassView if you don't have their password.

If you are going to something like Entourage or Mail, then it becomes much more complicated.

Edited by Demonslay335, 02 January 2016 - 02:24 PM.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

Demonslay335,

Thank you.  My preliminary advice to this client is that they obtain Office for Mac because they use far more than just Outlook.  Once you've got years of work in documents, spreadsheets, etc., the amount of effort to refashion them, and the learning curve to get good at that, costs far more in personnel pay than the Office Software for Mac does.

I really appreciate the pointer to the support article.  I believe that logins, passwords, etc., are not going to be a problem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

It may not even be that complicated. If the users are storing their data on an Exchange server, all you have to do is set up their account in Outlook on the Macs and the server will sync it all down to the clients.

#5 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

Very true. The mention of PST makes me assume they are using POP though, unless he hasn't confirmed yet. If it is stored with an OST, then the problem is averted by it being Exchange or IMAP.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users