Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multiple account on same computer???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wigitz24

wigitz24

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hey all

So I got a new hardrive and am going to reload windows 7 on it.  I was interested in creating 2 accounts (both admin) so my girlfriend and myself can log in and have our preferences and setup instead of having to deal with each others all together.

My question is if I do create 2 accounts. when I install a program (say iTunes)  will it also be available on her side when she logs into her account?  Or would we both have to install the program for it to work?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

If you install a program in admin it will be available to all users. Some programs offer the option to install only for the user installing the program or for everyone on the computer. I  would advise you set up a limited user account for browsing the internet as this can go a long way to avoiding malware infections.

#3 wigitz24

wigitz24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

thx.  I'm not so much concerned about the infections as she mostly uses it for school and I basically just go to legit sports sites. 

Its more so she can have the programs she wants and I can do the same.  I just wasn't sure about a program we would both use such as iTunes.  If it would need to be installed from both accounts or just on one.  kinda wondering the same about the anti-virus??  If its installed on one account I would assume it should protect even on another account??  hmmmmm

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

If you install a AV on your admin account it will be available to protect everyone. If you use firefox for a browser then install the Noscript and Adblock plus extensions. Google has Ghostery and Adguard. uBlock Origin is also a good extension for Chrome and Firefox. It combines the abilities of Noscript and Adblock. It also uses less memory then both Adblock Plus and NoScript.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 January 2016 - 02:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users