Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

USB Expansion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anianna

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

Assuming slots and connections are available, is there any reason to choose an internal powered USB card over an external powered USB hub to expand the number of ports available on a PC experiencing failure of some of the original USB ports?

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 01:42 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dejavou42

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

The main downside is another source of potential failure. I recently had a malfunctioning usb hub that slowed my system down to a crawl. It was only by chance that I unplugged it, and everything sped up tremendously. In a pinch with a known good working hub, you shouldn't have a problem though. 

#3 hamluis

• 54,995 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

Internal cards are connected directly to the motherboard/PSU.  That would be my preference.

#4 Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:00 PM

I'm with Louis on that.  Internal.

If you have a 5.25" drive bay open on your case, you could get one that fits in there so the ports are on the front.

There's even fancier ones that in addition to USB, include a card reader, and fast charge ports as well, like:

Or just basic USB/audio like:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users