Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

videos don't show in web browsers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IndreM

IndreM

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi, all--

All of a sudden, videos won't play on certain websites: I just get a blank space where a video would normally show. (Youtube works, though.) Everything was fine before Xmas, but now there are problems. For example, I can't watch any videos at alluc.ee (and I've been using that site for years). My browser of choice is FireFox, but the videos don't work in Chrome or IE either. I haven't made any major changes--my computer just updates as usual. I did uninstall Adobe Reader and Flash and then reinstalled them, only because a mysterious problem with my printer also appeared at the same time (which I've since fixed, after much research). I've been researching this problem for hours, but getting nowhere. I am not knowledgeable about computer programming at all, so I don't understand some of the posts on this topic. If anyone could help me, I'd be very grateful!

I'm using Windows 7. Would upgrading to Windows 10 help things?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

IndreM

[Edited to remove URL. My apologies for including it. I am not a spammer.]

Edited by IndreM, 02 January 2016 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

Are you a spammer?  If you are not a spammer then edit your post and remove the link entirely.

Edited by buddy215, 02 January 2016 - 01:47 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 IndreM

IndreM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

I'm very sorry! I just removed the URL. I didn't know that I shouldn't include links. I've edited the post.

Thanks--

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for removing the link...it was your first post and the problem is a bit unusual as you can watch Youtube videos and not videos on other sites that

that caused me to be a bit skeptical.

Links are allowed but spammers do show up here often and the staff and other members are diligent and spam posts usually die a quick death.

Welcome to BC !

Have you installed a new security program or changed settings in any of your security programs? I use a script blocker in my browser and often have to

allow one or more scripts to run in order to view a video. Some security programs block scripts...is my understanding.

Could this have started since Firefox updated to 43? Sometimes settings get changed or corrupted during upgrades/ updates....though it doesn't happen often.

Or you could of added some add-on in Firefox.....

EDIT: Check Firefox's plug-ins to see if any need updating....especially flash. Tools > Add-ons > Plugins > Check for updates

Edited by buddy215, 02 January 2016 - 02:16 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 IndreM

IndreM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

Thanks, Buddy15. I've tried all the things you suggested, but I'm still having trouble with some sites. It's interesting--I can watch everything at some video sites, but nothing at allucDOTee (where I've watched shows for years). Since I can see most videos, this is not a problem that's destroying my life. :) I will keep working on this to see if I can fix it. Maybe an update to Windows 10 will help.

Thanks so much for your reponse; I appreciate it!

P.S. Love your avatar--FSM FTW!

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

Those type of sites frequently get shut down because of violations of copyrights, etc. I visited but didn't create an account. It does seem

to be functioning. Not unusual for the actual servers for each item/ movie to be shut down or stop streaming for some unknown or unstated reason.

I know of one such site that I watched all the Fargo 2 episodes on was being blocked the day after I watched the last of 10 episodes....Firefox blocked

it as a phishing site. Wasn't surprised at that.

#7 IndreM

IndreM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, the alluc site is full of viruses and sketchy participants. I still think there's something fishy going on with my own computer, but I've found alternatives, so I'm good. :)

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

Good..and keep the faith...:)

#9 IndreM

IndreM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

Thanks again, buddy215! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users