Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justamum

justamum

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544384/laptop-wont-start-i-just-get-a-black-screen-with-the-mouse-cursor-on-it/page-2 - Hamluis.

Hi PlasticNev,

Our laptop (Toshiba Satellite L850) just started having this exact problem yesterday (not  a nice New Year's present). We have Windows 7 installed also and get to the same point as RedBullPaul described (even including the reference top Minecraft only it is my son who is beckoning its return) with the mouse working but on a black screen. I have tried pressing F8 as soon as the F2 Setup and F12 Boot options appear but it appears to ignore this (I've even tried holding F8 down and frantically pressing F8 (on different occasions) so I don't miss the timing) and still go to the same blue screen "Windows Error Recovery" screen which gives me the two options of :

1. Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)

2. Start Windows Normally

The first option results in the mouse on black screen and the second option results in a loop back to the same blue screen.

I can't seem to get into F2 or F12 and as mentioned, F8 doesn't work either.

I have removed the battery and I have checked that the hard disk is in place correctly.

Our CD drive hasn't worked for a while so I was hoping to change the boot drive to USB and then try creating a USB boot "disk" (not sure how yet, but have read it can be done). The battery hasn't held a great charge for a while but I have tried removing the battery entirely and repeated the above directly from the power supply - no difference.  I did notice when I was checking the power supply that there is a round lithium battery like an oversized watch battery on one of the boards....not sure if that has any significance)

Any other magic suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated !!!  :(

Edited by hamluis, 02 January 2016 - 11:00 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

If F12 does not give you a menu that includes Diagnostics download the iso file of Hirens rescue disk here. You can use it with Rufus to create a bootable Flash Drive but if you cannot get into BIOS or the boot menu by tapping F12 after attaching the flash drive this will not work.

To use Rufus, start the program and make sure your Flash Drive is listed. Select MBR partition scheme. Check Quick Format. In the dropdown box that lists FreeDos select iso image. Click on the folder icon and browse to the iso of Hirens you downloaded. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

Attach the flash drive and tap F12. When you get to the initial menu screen select MiniXP. This will launch a minimum OS that will let you copy your files to the USB flash drive. On the disk are also HDD diagnostics listed under Hard Disk Tools. You want to select Seatools for DOS. Run the short and long diagnostic tests. Also do a Memory test with Memtest+86 under Testing Tools. Run the memory test for at least 6 passes.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Do you have access to another WIndows 7 computer? If you do and the above tests pass you can create a bootable USB of the System Repair Disk and see if doing a System Restore works to solve the problem. See this guide starting on page 2 showing how to create a bootable USB flash drive of a System Repair Disk on a computer with not CD/DVD drive. You can use Rufus but if it fails then use Poweriso in the guide to create the bootable USB flash drive.

#3 justamum

justamum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:58 AM

Hi JohnC_21,

Really appreciate you taking the time to assist.

In between my post and your post, I also restarted the laptop while holding down the "0" (zero) key which resulted in a very high pitched long beep and then a black screen with the message:

(same as RebelBullPaul's #5 post)

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I also read that a Toshiba laptop doesn't require to hold down the Fn key to use the function keys, therefore I was then able to use function keys F2 and F12 to enter Setup and Boot Menu respectfully. Have changed the boot drive to USB.

Have created the bootable Flash Drive and am currently running Memory test with Memtest+86.....still only 70% of 1st pass (after 27mins) so may need to let it run overnight.

I ran the MiniXP but the only thing that came up was a blue and green screen with the mouse on it. There was no way to copy any of the files from my hard drive to the Flash Drive.???

(Not sure if this means that the hard drive cannot be accessed - hope not) Any ideas why this is not showing up as an option??

I have access to a Windows 7 machine so can create the System Repair Disk hopefully.

I will update this thread when the 6 passes of memory tests have completed.

Thanks again!!  :thumbup2:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

The above indicates a possible drive failure. Is the drive detected in BIOS? Hirens has Seatools for Dos accessed through the other menu when you first boot. I would do a short test but from the above PXE error I think it will fail. If a drive failure then your System Repair Disk will not work. 

#5 justamum

justamum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

I ran the memory checks using Memtest86+. I left the system running overnight and it completed 9 passes with no errors.

I found the Hard disk tool under Dos Programs > 6. Hard Disk Tools > 8. More > 6. Seagate SeaTools > 1. Seagate Seatools (Graphical), and accepted the T&Cs.

The test came back with:

Scanning for Controllers

No Controllers detected

Device scan complete

Hard Disk Sentinel

Device[1] Vendor : 8086 Device: iE03 intel

AHCI Device, ABAR=C31170000 Experimental, use / NoAHCI to disable

AHCI Version 1.30, max speed: 600 MB/s, Ports: 4 (mask: 0000001D)

Drive 0: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 S/N: 4422LP0Z0T Rev: AX002M

Size: 715405MB Temp: 35 deg C (95 deg F) Max: 51 deg C (124deg F) Perf 100%

Power on: 192 days, 8 hours Health: 95% 300MB/s

There are 8 weak sectors found on the disk surface.

They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.

At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.

The Windows version of the Hard Disk Sentinel can be used to diagnose problems by the File menu->Short/Edxtended/Surface tests.

Press any key to continue

(I realise a lot of the above is probably incidental but included for completeness)

Was wondering if the above may mean that the controller for the hard disk is missing and therefore the reason why it cannot be accessed?

Will creating a System Restore Disk  recreate the disk controller and therefore possibly give me access to the hard drive again?

Alternatively, I have heard there is a SATA/IDE cable which would enable the laptop hard drive to be connected to another computer via USB - any idea what this is called or if this would enable me access to the hard disk files so that not all is lost??

Appreciate your help! :mellow:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

You can pull the drive and use a USB adapter or enclosure. I am not sure if you computer uses the IDE or SATA interface. The adapter like this allows you to access both. Be careful when removing the drive you do not touch the drive's printed circuit board.

You will find something similar for your location. Because you have a laptop hard drive you can use this type as 2.5 drives do not need the power brick. But you would not be able to use it on 3.5 hard drives. I would recommend one with the power brick if you can find one. This one has a UK plug if that is your location.

It's possible the sectors that need to be remapped has data that is required to boot the disk normally. Using the adapter, you can recover your data if it is a controller problem.

If you can recover the data, place the hard drive back into the Toshiba and instead of holding the zero key tap it and see if you can get to the factory reset manager.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 January 2016 - 05:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users