Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transitioning data from a PC to a Mac

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

Hello All,

I don't do this very often, and I don't often get clients calling who need to do this, but I just got a call from someone who has a small office who's switching over from HP PCs to Macs.

I have conventionally used an external backup drive to do this sort of data transfer, where I copy the material from the PC to the external drive and then hook the external drive to the Mac and copy back in.  For large quantities of data this was faster than getting everyone on the same wireless network and copying over the air (wired was not an option, which I know would be much faster, but I still don't know if that's faster than the external hard drive method).

However, I also would probably have the option to pop out the PC hard drives (at least if they're laptops) and use USB to hard drive interface cables to treat those drives as though they were external drives.  I have never tried this on a Mac, though I've done it many times on PCs.

I'm just curious about what the cohort has to say about what are the better/best/most efficient ways to do mass data transfer from old PCs on to new Macs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

Hello All,

I don't do this very often, and I don't often get clients calling who need to do this, but I just got a call from someone who has a small office who's switching over from HP PCs to Macs.

I have conventionally used an external backup drive to do this sort of data transfer, where I copy the material from the PC to the external drive and then hook the external drive to the Mac and copy back in.  For large quantities of data this was faster than getting everyone on the same wireless network and copying over the air (wired was not an option, which I know would be much faster, but I still don't know if that's faster than the external hard drive method).

However, I also would probably have the option to pop out the PC hard drives (at least if they're laptops) and use USB to hard drive interface cables to treat those drives as though they were external drives.  I have never tried this on a Mac, though I've done it many times on PCs.

I'm just curious about what the cohort has to say about what are the better/best/most efficient ways to do mass data transfer from old PCs on to new Macs.

All the same methods will work whether you are using FAT32 or NTFS drives (note: Macs can read NTFS but not write by default).

Most efficient would be to pull the internal drives and use a universal USB adapter to hook the old PC drive directly to new Mac, especially if both have USB 3 (and your adapter is USB 3). I like this option best as you only need to copy the data once.

Other option would be to direct connect the PC to the Mac with an Ethernet cable (Macs have auto-crossover ability built-in so no crossover cable required) and the use file sharing to directly transfer files...assuming the PC and Mac both have Ethernet posts and the PC's port is a Gigabit port (All current Macs with Ethernet are Gigabit as well as Apple's USB and Thunderbolt Ethernet adapters).

Of course, the external drive option would work too.

Edited by smax013, 02 January 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 6,835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

smax013,

Thank you very much for your input and suggestions.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users