Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CLI Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

Not being an Xmas or New Year  fan I started to reminisce on the old days of linux and using the Command line which is something i use only frequently...for Music, browser , calender, and to do package instalations etc.

In trying to find something i discovered this Blog with names and reviews of many many many CLI apps  for everything..the old games, mail clients, log readers, office software etc.etc etc......too much for 1 days reading  the guy himself has been compiling this for 3 yrs

i have spent most of the Holidays installing and trying many many things..some dont work some take too long to read manuals .some don't benefit you in any way  but it has been a lot of fun

any of you older users may enjoy this  and many Noobs may find the Old Ways interesting

https://inconsolation.wordpress.com/

sorry if this has been posted before i just never saw it mentioned

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

Mutt, Pine (before it became Alpine), cal, calc.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

Best text editor that isn’t vim

Is there such a thing?

I've been using Vim for about 2 years now, mostly because I can't figure out how to exit it  ( That's a joke of course )

Nice will look thru it.

Thanks.

Edited by NickAu, 02 January 2016 - 03:47 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for sharing. :)

Always keeping an eye out for cool apps. I decided to try "img" out, because it sounds cool. It didn't successfully output the url to my clipboard, but I was still able to manually retrieve the url. In case anyone needs, I wrote down the steps I used to install/try it, and have posted them below.

6Mqxtn0.png

Install Img On Debian 8.0 X86-64:
1. In Gnome Terminal type:

su root

2. (Optional) In Gnome Terminal type:

aptitude update

3. In Gnome Terminal type:

aptitude install scrot curl xclip

4. In Gnome Terminal type:

exit

5. In Gnome Terminal type:

cd ~/Downloads && wget -nc -t 99 --show-progress https://github.com/Ceryn/img/archive/master.zip

6. In Gnome Terminal type:

unzip -n master.zip

7. (Optional) In Gnome Terminal type:

mv img-master ~/Img

8. In Gnome Terminal type:

cd ~/

9. (Optional) In Gnome Terminal type:

rm ~/Downloads/master.zip

Use Img On Debian 8.0 X86-64:
1. In Gnome Terminal type:

bash ~/Img/img.sh

If you've placed the script in a different location, then obviously you'll need to substitute the path you've used for the one used here.

2. In Gnome Terminal type:

xclip -o

or

xclip -o | gedit -

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:39 AM

shadow-warrior, Thanks for sharing this, it may be useful to many. :thumbup2:

Too bad the blog ended prematurely, though like everything else, there comes an end to everything, regardless of reason. It takes a lot of time, effort, and some cash to keep a blog going, that often comes into the picture, as there's little, if any profit, as well as a lot of competition in the Linux & open source software world. I believe he may have dropped a hint here that he was slowing down. 

https://inconsolation.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/bonus-changes-afoot/

At least we have what is there to look upon & remember, a couple of years of dedication to bring all FOSS users the best content available. 

The blog has been bookmarked by me, though eventually these will disappear & it's best to print these out if using any of the content. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 04 January 2016 - 06:45 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users