Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Hangs on Login (Circling Dots)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:35 AM

When I started my Dell Inspiron laptop, Windows ran some kind of "startup repair", and gave me the option to start in Safe Mode. I did, but when I tried to shut down, it hanged with the circling blue dots. (In Safe Mode!)

I shut it down and tried to restart. Now, it gets as far as the circling blue dots, which stay there for at least 20 minutes before I give up and shut it down.

If I could log in I'd deactivate Fast Start and doublecheck my drivers.

Normally to start in Safe Mode you have to be in Standard Mode and tell it how to restart. But what if you can't get into Standard Mode in the first place?

Is there a way to make it do the "startup repair" when booting? At least that would take me to the Advanced menu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:49 AM

With Windows 10, there are two ways I know of to force safe mode.

1. Shut the system down during the boot process at least 3 times. It should go to the boot menu options after several failed boot attempts.

2. Boot to a Windows 10 OEM disc and select "Repair", which has an option to goto the "F8" menu a few levels into the advanced options.

Has Windows 10 been otherwise stable, as in, you didn't just upgrade? What antivirus do you have? We've run into a lot of issues with some antiviruses and Windows 10 after some updates.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:18 AM

Yes, I've been running Windows 10 since the "free upgrade" from Windows 7 came out. Lately I've had the issue on shutdown, where I'd get the circling dots for a long time, but only today has it started happening on bootup.

I'll try the "boot 3 times" method.  Where can I get a Windows 10 OEM disc? Like I said, I downloaded the upgrade.

I have ESET 32 antivirus.

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:25 AM

You can burn a copy using another computer at the following Microsoft link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I've not had experience with or heard of ESET32 causing such issues. Mostly Norton, McAfee, and Bulldog in my experience.

If you have been having the issue of the long shutdowns before, I would suspect a pre-existing issue with the system such as failing hardware (hard drive or RAM come to mind), or even an infection or something; hard telling without it booting I'm afraid.

I may have to pass you along for someone else to help. I typically assist with boot troubleshooting when in front of the system I'm afraid, not too experienced in doing it through a forum.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

I got to the point where Windows "Advanced Recovery" options let me open a Command Prompt. I ran chkdsk, and it confirms there's a problem, but the drive is locked so I can't run chkdsk /f. 

What's the normal way to boot to a command prompt without being in Windows first?

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

Shawnvw, to cut to the chase, everything you've said about your symptoms points to a failing hard drive. Unless your computer provides some BIOS based diagnostics you can run, there aren't any decent diagnostic options available unless you have some sort of USB adapter that would let you connect your drive to another computer and run Windows based diagnostics from it. Drive manufacturers have dropped the ball in recent years when it comes to bootable diagnostic tools that run outside of Windows.

My advice would be to buy another HD, and transfer your data to the new drive. If you have a backup that you are sure is uncorrupted restore it.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Dell's inbuilt diagnostics are usually started by pressing F12 to open the boot selection menu - then selecting the Dell Diagnostics from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

To get to Recovery screen (Safe Mode), hold down Shift key and Restart the PC.

Keep holding the Shift key until blue recovery screen appears.

Then, Troubleshoot, Advanced, Restart Dialogue box, F4, It will eventually get to Safe Mode.

There is no F8 in Win 10. Just another adventure from Redmond, making you click on 6 to 8 things instead of "one".

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users