Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer, Overheating, and Hanging Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christine0123

Christine0123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

A Tale of Three Laptops

I have 3 identical HP nc6000 laptops running XP Pro. 
     The fan on the first one quit.  Three different computer repairmen at 3 different locations (and all with the same first name, believe it of not) all replaced the fan at least once.  The fans would work for a while and quit.  After spending quite a bit of money, I gave up and bought the second one. 
     The second one hangs/freezes and gets hot.  It’s had the fan replaced, but that did not work.  I was able to get all the files I want to save off of it between hangs and they’re saved on a thumb drive.
     The third one arrived yesterday.  It was an eBay find.  It looks almost new, or like it wasn’t used much at all, and uses XP with IE 8.  It works great by itself and I put an office suite on it, but for some reason my printer will not talk to the computer.  The printer works great with the first two, and the first two also had camera/scanner wizard software.  I don’t remember how I downloaded that, but would like it again.  I bought this third computer as a standalone but I do need it to be able to print. 
     I tried installing the printer using the install disk as well as on line.  Neither one works.  I keep getting messages that either say “needs file hpxp 3390.dll on HP cd” or “file HPZipr.sys is needed.”  I tried updating the drivers with no success.  I finally got it to semi-install the printer, meaning it shows the printer when I go to start-my computer-printers and scanners, but it does not function.  For some reason on the first two computers the printer port shows as DOT HP LaserJet 3050 and on the new one it’s Standard instead of DOT.  I tried changing it to DOT and also tried making a new port with the DOT name but it will not allow me to do either one. 
     I got frustrated enough to try copying the software off one of the other computers and placing it on a thumb drive, but could not transfer it to the new computer.  I didn’t really expect that to work, but tried anyway.  I’ve been fighting with this for a good day now. 
     Any suggestions other than getting a more modern computer?  I want it to be a standalone, and XP works fine for that.  In addition, this model with XP are the only ones out of all my computers that work with the weird system they have at work, and sometimes I need to take care of work things at home.  So I want to keep an nc6000 with XP pro, and the one I just got functions great, it’s just that I’m having all sorts of trouble installing the printer.  Or—the other option—if you could think of a way to repair the first two, I’ll have at least one that can interface with the printer and work.
     Many thanks.

My bad--if there's a mod reading this, please change this to the XP forum.  I was frustrated with the computer and not thinking.  It uses XP and Internet Explorer 8, not Windows 8. Moved. ~Blade

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Do you still need help?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users