Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10wiwi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 casperone

casperone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

This is my first post so be gentle with me. I do not have  a lot of computer knowledge. I am a newbie. I am extremely concerned about the prospect of Microsoft being able to view and share some of my files. Despite repeated assurances from MS (remember Volkswagen, most politicians, and numerous others) I remain UN-assured). What does the membership think of the program called Win10wiwi.com Is it malware, does it weed out win10 fixes disguised as security or important updates? I  solicit
comments,please.

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2016 - 06:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

Welcome to BC...

For a list of Windows updates that you may want to uninstall to prevent Windows 10 nag, install and 'spying' on Windows 7, see the info in this

BC Topic.....Be Advised Windows 7 Users, et al - Page 3 - Windows 7

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

Post#1, if you want a program to do that for you then the one most people seem to use is called "GWXControlPanel", I'm afriad I don't have the link to it's site but it is mentioned in many posts in the windows 10 help and discussion forums. You can also achieve similar things by manual methods without downloading a program to do it for you, but this involves mroe effort on your part, the techniques are described at the links below amongst other places.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599235/for-those-that-wish-to-stay-with-7/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/ (lists updates and what each does)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600387/windows-10-alternative/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578100/remove-the-get-windows-10-icon-from-the-icon-tray/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597333/kb3035583-pops-up-again/page-2#entry3871642

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595597/kb3075853-update-question/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578100/remove-the-get-windows-10-icon-from-the-icon-tray/ (old thread but still has some helpful tips)

Edited by rp88, 05 January 2016 - 01:29 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

GWX Control Panel can be downloaded from http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

The longer I've been working with Win10 and monitoring my Glasswire logs the more and more convinced I become of just how utterly overblown, nay, false, the speculation and concerns regarding privacy are when it comes to using strictly the Windows 10 OS itself.  I don't use anything that's covered by the Microsoft Services Agreement, specific service list here, other than having a Microsoft Account for login and sync purposes, Windows Live Mail (with a junk Gmail account, because some of my clients use it and it's convenient for testing), and maybe eventually Skype.

My data totals from 12/5/15 to 1/5/15 are 11.4 GB incoming and 1.2 GB outgoing for all programs/processes.  The vast majority of all of this traffic is from my web browsers and streaming to Chromecast.  I've got full system health reporting on, Cortana and OneDrive disabled because I don't use 'em, and most other privacy related settings tweaked as I want them to be.  There's not some endless stream of slurping of data going from my computer to Microsoft, not by a long shot.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:21 PM

@ Brian...you said... I don't use anything that's covered by the Microsoft Services Agreement, specific service list here, other than having a Microsoft Account for login and sync purposes, Windows Live Mail (with a junk Gmail account, because some of my clients use it and it's convenient for testing), and maybe eventually Skype.....

...how have you "turned off" the remainder of the microsoft 'services' ?.....that is certainly an extensive list to manually deal with ....

Published today in Ghacks...

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/01/05/microsoft-may-be-collecting-more-data-than-initially-thought/?_m=3n.0038.1805.ja0ao07p52.1vm4

The statistics indicate that Microsoft may be collecting more data than initially thought.

While it is unclear what data is exactly collected, it is clear that the company is collecting information about the use of individual applications and programs on Windows at the very least.

Edited by Condobloke, 05 January 2016 - 06:27 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

Condobloke,

The services that are a part of Windows 10 itself are fairly quickly and easily turned off.  You can tweak your default apps for certain common tasks, e.g., photo viewer, video player, music player, web browser, in the System Settings, Default Apps Pane.  I've changed all there except Maps, which I don't use at all and the provisos of the Microsoft Services Agreement come in only when you use an app, not because it's bundled with your system.

Cortana settings are a thing of their own, and I've had Cortana disabled since the moment I've installed Windows 10, but have documented how to tweak those dedicated settings on the forums multiple times.  I've also done the same regarding OneDrive.

As to everything else, it is a quick run down the Panes in the Privacy Settings.  Virtually everything comes "On" but the amount of time necessary to to the review of every pane and ticking any slider switches to "Off" where you want that is around 10 minutes.

Most of the Microsoft Services in that list do not even come bundled with Windows 10 but must be downloaded/installed before they even exist on your machine.  I can't be using probably 85-90% of what's on that list because it simply doesn't exist on my machine because I've never installed any of them.  I didn't even know that some of them existed, or what their purpose was, until I looked at some of them after reviewing the MSA.

Edited by britechguy, 05 January 2016 - 06:50 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users