Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlueBomber600

BlueBomber600

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hi Everybody,

I'm looking for some help with my computer's startup.

Several weeks ago, it started to take several minutes to start the computer. It boots to windows normal, but then connecting (wireless) to the internet take a long time, even bringing up the icon in the taskbar. Opening a window, or browser, etc also take a long time. Once the computer is on, it runs fine.

I have cleaned up the computer with CCleaner, degragged it, and that hasn't help. Starting in safe mode with networking, it is fast to completely start (connect to the internet and open browser, etc). After learning that, I tried turning off all services except microsoft, and it is still slow to start normally.

I have scanned with MalwareBytes and Spybot, and nothing comes up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Emil

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2016 - 06:23 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Evolution13

Evolution13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

When I run into this problem I usually find that the virtual memory files are heavily fragmented and/or corrupted. Windows refuses to let go of them so they never get defragged. My preferred method to deal with this is to boot off some kind of Utility disk that will ignore windows file permissions such as Mini Windows XP or a Linux Rescue environment. Then you can just delete the offending files. pagefile.sys hiberfile.sys and on windows 8 and 10, swapfile.sys Reboot, and teh computer will automatically create nice fresh copies of them.

If you don't have a disk like that, Go to Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings. Make sure you're on the Advanced tab, click on the settings button under Performance, go to the Advanced Tab there, Click on Change under Virtual Memory, set it to No Paging File, click set.

Then you can close out of all those windows, reboot into Safe Mode. Go to Control Panel, Folder Options, click on the View Tab. Make sure Show hidden Files is selected, uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files, click apply, then look at your C drive, and if pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys are still there, delete them. after that you can set your folder options back to normal, go back into the systems control panel and re-enable your paging file, then reboot. If it worked, you should see a significant speed increase.

I know that second option is really complicated which is why I prefer to boot off a CD whenever possible. I call this "My Trade Secret That I Wish Wasn't a Secret" because It's very hard to explain. I've been looking for a program that could be run from windows and do this automatically. Maybe someone else here knows?

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:54 PM

To test if a startup program is taking a very long time to load, try a clean boot

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135

#4 eznetso

eznetso

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

I had a similar issue, and tried what Evolution13 suggested (the second option) and it worked like a charm!  Thank you for your insight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users