Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Genuine Product

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jocr13

Jocr13

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

I received a message that my XP is not genuine. So I purchased XP home and received XP Pro Upgrade. I tried to reinstall my ME, butit will not let me. Can I get some advice on what to do? Re order the XP home?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

This sounds kind of complicated. First of all, the reason you can't install ME is probably because XP was using a NTFS filesystem, though it's possible it's FAT.

If you want Home, I think it would be a good idea to re-order.

But does your computer have enough guts to handle XP? If you have less than 512MB of RAM, I'd stick with ME (or 98SE). You can use the XP disk to kill the partition and make a new one and then format it as FAT32 so you can install ME. Just don't let XP install.

XP Pro is better, and as long as you have the license key, you should be able to install it even if you don't have ME installed - just install and it will ask you for the disk of a previous operating system. Check out this site for info on a clean install of an upgrade disk.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

I think what jocr13 is trying to say is that he got the Windows Genuine Advantage notification.

I am confused about the operating system you want to run.
As I read what you are saying, it says you tried to install ME over XP.
Windows will not let you do that.

Further clarification is necessary.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

Which do you want installed - Home or Pro?

Are what you have "upgrades" or full install versions and are they retail versions or OEM?

#5 Jocr13

Jocr13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

I will try to be brief and answer all of your questions:

1. To Herk: I installed more memory a few months ago and it seems to be running fine.

2. to Enthusiast: Home is the complete version and PRO is an upgrade.

3. To all: This is a computer my wife had in college and it is a Dell that came with Win ME. It crashed a few years ago due to a virus or worm. This guy I knew in college said he could install my new harddrive for me. We sent the computer to him with all the software that came with the computer. It was returned to me and was told that I was "hooked up" with XP. Now remember I barely knew the diff b/tween Computer and a Typewriter at the time. so, we have been sailing along just fine and my knowledge of computers is increasing. Well, I receive a notice from Microsoft that my product may not be genuine and I could be a victim of some sort of fraud. It then dawned on me that I was hooked up with bad software. Then, I purchased XP Home thru my company and was going to install a "genuine" product, but Microsoft sent me the XP pro upgrade. Common sense told me that I cannot upgrade XP pro with XP pro if it is not genuine. So, I tried to use my Win ME reinstall disk to get back to ME and upgrade to XP pro from there. Well, it would not reconize the disk.

That gets us to here. SHould I clear my hardrive and try to reinstall ME and use the upgrade or send it back and get the complete home version? If I cn get ME on there how do I do it? if not, will I be able to put the home version on there when I get it?

Thanks for your advice.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:30 PM

OK - I'm confused.
Did you buy the "Get Genuine" offer from Microsoft and get the XP Pro upgrade disk from them?

Do you have XP Pro installed now albeit a pirate version?

#7 Jocr13

Jocr13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

To Enthusiast:

No. I purchased the software from Microsoft. The company I work for uses Microsoft software and we get good discounts.

What I have now on my computer is the pirate version of XP pro (which I am trying to get rid of, because I didn't flip from flop when I received it.); I bought and clicked on XP home version (which they, meaning Microsoft, tell me is the complete version) and they sent me, XP Pro upgrade. Now, what I have is the upgrade, that I am sure will not install over the XP currently on my computer. What I was originally trying to do was revert back to Win ME and install the legitimate XP, but it will not let me.

Should I erase my hard drive and start from scratch with my Win ME reinstall disk, and upgrade with the XP pro, or send it back and get the complete home edition?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

What I suggest you do is to call the authentication phone number that will show up on your computer when you try to activate.

click start/programs/accessories/system tools/activate

It will give you a choice of doing it on the internet or by phone and will give you a phone number.

Tell the help desk that they sent you an upgrade version rather than a full install (I wouldn't mention that you ordered Home - not Pro)

They will ask for the Key for the disk MS sent you.

They may give you a 30 or so digit code to validate the installation you have on the computer so you may not even have to reinstall. You have nothing to loose.

You can even try just activating over the internet with the Key for the disk MS sent.

Let us know what happens.

#9 Jocr13

Jocr13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

I have already contacted them and they are sending me packaging to send it back for the home version. I really do not need pro. I just want to get rid of this current Xp I have.

What need is some advice on if I need to erase my hard drive to insatall the new version. If so, what do I need to do? Or do I have to, will it just overwite what I currently have?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:20 AM

You will need to format the drive and then boot from the Windows XP Home cd. I don't believe Home will install over Pro without a complete format.

#11 Jocr13

Jocr13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

Is there soft ware outthere that I need to format my drive, or is the something I need some one to do for me? Obvioulsy I do not know much about what I am doing.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

The following should help:

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

#13 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hi....

http://www.d-a-l.com/articles/library/23.html

Your computer will more than likely be configured to boot from your computers hard disk drive. This is to say that once you turn on your computer the hard disk drive takes over and your operating system will eventually load. Now to change this we have to enter a part of the computer that is known as the BIOS. Within the BIOS you can change many settings and one of those settings should be the order in which your computer is set to boot.
For example:

1) Hard Disk Drive
2) Floppy Drive
3) CD/DVD Drive

All that is required, is to swap the order so that the CD/DVD Drive is first. This should then allow you to boot from the CD/DVD Drive.
Workshop... As I've said above to swap the order you will have to enter your computers BIOS. To do this requires you to press a key or a combination of keys when your computer is starting. Which key or combination of keys depends solely on the manufacturer of the BIOS. To navigate, select and to make any changes you will have to use your keyboard. Some modern BIOS's allow you to use your mouse.
Please view How do I access my computer's setup (BIOS) and change my parallel port mode / settings? for various BIOS manufacturers.

Motherboard Manual: The motherboard manual should tell you exactly how to boot into the BIOS and to change the way in which the computer will boot.
The following is how you change the boot order in this computerís BIOS...
By pressing the DEL key when your computer is starting in most cases you should see the bios screen.
Using the arrow keys select Boot and press enter to access the Boot Device Priority menu.
Press enter on the highlighted 1st Boot Device and select CDROM from the menu.
In this BIOS you have to press F10 to save and exit any changes that you have made. Press enter and the changes will be saved and you will exit the BIOS. When your computer is starting it will now boot from the CD. Summary... This is all that is required to make your computer boot from the CD/DVD drive and as long as you save the change you should be fine. If you do not you'll have to go back and start again. If you are uncertain of what you are doing then choose not to save any changes.
Once you have finished booting from your CD/DVD drive make sure you change the order back so that the hard disk drive will now be booted from first.
Note: Please consult your motherboard manual for specific instructions on how to go about making your computer boot from the CD/DVD drive. Or visit the website of your motherboard manufacturer to see if there is a manual that you can download

Afterward look at these websites

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/xp_home...all_part1.shtml

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

#14 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

One other thing , Is this what your talking about ?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...7-25WGA1PR.mspx

#15 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

one thing that i would suggest before formattinmg if i am not too late would be to try to go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and then click on the validate windows link. That has made a big differece in alot of validation issues that i have seen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users