Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noscript.Updated??

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

I just opened up my browser which I run No script on. It opened another window said I had just updated it with a PC Optimiser??

What the heck, is this real??

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

Hi:

Nope, nothing to do with NoScript.

It sounds as if you inadvertently picked up a PUP or other unwanted item somewhere.

But not from NoScript.

As we say, "true, true and unrelated".

But your post contains too little information to say more than that.

There are many "PC Optimizer" junk applications out there.

You might want to head over to the malware removal section for some expert help scanning the system.

Cheers,

MM

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

I wish I had a better description. I opened up waterfox and instead of the useuall start page ai get a no script page saying it was an update with a download button for a PC Optimizer no other name.

I know it was not Noscripts useuall page I have used noscript for 4 years but it looked exactly like their normal page except for the download.

Not much else I could report on.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:11 PM

Hi:

Well, NoScript is a reputable add-on (extension) hosted at AMO.

If it were installing PUPs or other bad stuff, there would be a huge flood of complaints at mozilla or forums.mozillazine.org and the rest of the internet.

It sounds like a coincidence.

You may have a browser hijacker or other problem.

It's not at all likely that the behavior you describe relates to NoScript, if what you have is the real version.

Having said all that, as you know better than I (with nearly 1000 posts here), at a minimum, diagnostic logs would be needed.

Without logs or even a screenshot of what you report, no one can say for sure.

Per standard procedures here at bleeping, you might wish to post HERE or HERE (with logs).

One of the trained malware experts will assist you with running some scans.

They can help to determine what might be going on and how to fix it.

Cheers,

MM

P.S. Perhaps the forum mod team will relocate this thread here, as NoScript really isn't an "application", it's a browser extension. No worries, though.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:11 AM

My Firefox NoScript Add-on did update this morning when Firefox started up. If you just saw a button on the same page as

NoScript that opened to show you the details of the update and did not click on it....nothing got installed.

You can check in your list of installed programs to see if there is an 'optimizer' that is installed.

Likely it was an ad you saw.....and like I said, if you didn't click on it, no harm....no foul. I've seen an ad for the same 'Optimizer' on

their page which opens after update is complete.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

I wish I had a better description. I opened up waterfox and instead of the useuall start page ai get a no script page saying it was an update with a download button for a PC Optimizer no other name.

Yes, you could provide a better description.  As MoxieMomma said, you could post a screenshot.  Better yet, you could post a screenshot and a URL then we'd have something tangible to work with.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hind sight is always better than foresight. lol  I went back twice trying to catch that add never saw it again. I wis simply trying to report an unusual circumstance.

Did it occur to anyone I may have have been the only one to report this?  Maybe 20 people saw it and never said a thing does not mean it did not happen. Just that no one took the time to report it.  DO NOT KILL THE MESSENGER lol.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

I wis simply trying to report an unusual circumstance.

Did it occur to anyone I may have have been the only one to report this?  Maybe 20 people saw it and never said a thing does not mean it did not happen. Just that no one took the time to report it.  DO NOT KILL THE MESSENGER lol.

Yes, but the thing is NoScript has nothing whatsoever to do with PC Optimiser.  It follows that if you saw a message saying "I had just updated it with a PC Optimiser" then something is wrong.  The only way such a thing could happen is like MoxieMomma said - you have a browser hijacker.

Edited by Agouti, 02 January 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#9 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

@dannyboy950:

It has nothing to do with "killing the messenger".

We are trying to explain....

You reported behavior without any substantiating data to help us to better help you:

No screen shot

No diagnostic logs

No suspicious URL

NoScript is used by millions and millions of Firefox users.

The internet would be lighting up if it were bundling something bad.

It's possible you have been hijacked.

It's possible you may have inadvertently clicked on an ad somewhere (on their page or somewhere else).

It's possible you have other PUPs and/or malware on your system

BUT: We are not in front of your computer, and we can only speculate about what you report.

>>If you would like more definitive help, then the best bet would be to post in the "Am I Infected" or "MRL" section of the forum.

A trained expert will assist you with scanning your computer, to be sure you are clean.

Take care,

MM

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

DannyBoy, are you by any chance using, in whole or in part, Norton or AVG or Avast or Avira internet security/SwissArmyKnife suites?  Reason for asking: each of them carry a service or module that if installed and/or activated will engage a form of PC optimization.  Even several of my favorite utilities include some form of pc-optimization -- if I accidentally engage that piece of the [bitter]suite pie.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

Dannyboy saw the ad...I have no doubt about that simply because I have seen the ad myself many times. Later, I might just boot into Windows and accept the NoScript update

and when the NoScript page pops up I will take a screenshot....maybe.

So, Dannyboy....rest easy...you are not hallucinating...:)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

Lol now while reading this thread I just had what looked like a command prompt window open and close quickly. All I could make out was something; something net frame work and lines of what looked like code but too quick to tell for shure.

Now I will need to go check my event logs and see what if anything happened.

Like before I am only reporting not asking anyone to fix anything since I am not shure yet if anything is broke. LOL.

To me if my post keept so much as 1 person from accidently installing that junk ware it was worth the effort.

This one remains to be seen.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

Like before I am only reporting not asking anyone to fix anything since I am not shure yet if anything is broke. LOL.

Sorry.  I didn't know you were reporting and not asking for help.

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

Apparently it had something to do with windows error reporting. My logs showed a lot of activity for windows error reporting at that general time frame.

Altho that is the first time I have ever seen that window before.  The useuall error report window is smaller with a little progress bar showing something is progressing.  Blue or green line with the message windows is gathering information and then it closes.

Roland in answer to your question I am not useing any of those products.

Edited by dannyboy950, 02 January 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#15 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hi:

If there's some sort of ad, I stand corrected, as I've never seen it (although I have used NS for years).

I also use ABP and popup blockers.

Having said all that, there no sort of PC Optimizer bundled with NoScript.

And one might be able to solve the mystery once and for all by contacting the extension developer:

Webpage:

https://noscript.net/

Forum:

https://forums.informaction.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Cheers,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users