Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Internet connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GiantOctopus

GiantOctopus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

I hope I'm posting in the right place but here goes.

I have an old computer (from 2007). I currently connect with a wired connection via a DSL Broadband Modem (called Speed Touch).

I'm getting a new computer next week. Is it possible I can use this wired modem with my new computer but get a wifi modem at the same time? There are other people in my house that want to use the Internet. I figure I can use my wired modem for my computer and then the wifi modem could be used by everyone else.

Is this possible? To have two modems simultaneously? Wired and Wifi?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

It is not possible to put two modems on the same internet connection.

Unclear from what you post that this speedtouch is just a modem or modem and router combo unit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedTouch

If just a modem you will need to buy a router if wanting multiple people using the same internet connection.  That router can certainly be a wifi on. 

Something to consider: if your modem is 8 years old I would suggest replacing it with a newer one.  You don't want to get a great router only to have the modem crap out on you.

#3 GiantOctopus

GiantOctopus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Hi. Yes it is a regular modem not a router/modem combo. So its not possible to use a wired speed touch modem and have a wifi modem at the same time? I guess I could use a wifi modem for my new computer but I was hoping I could use wired mainly because I hear its more secure.

You see I also have a tablet. When I use that i disconnect my modem from my computer and hook it up (via a Ethernet cable) to a Belkin Router. But I kinda wanted to get a permanent wifi modem so that anyone in the house can use it at any time. I don't think its possible to keep the Belkin router and my Speedtouch modem plugged in 24 hours a day.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

No one turns off their modems or routers so yes its totally possible to leave them on 24hrs a day.

After all you wouldn't turn off your refrigerator would you?  Just think of your wifi /internet as a similar service being provided.

I take it the belkin router is not a wifi one.  I would suggest you instead buy a wifi router to replace the belkin.

#5 GiantOctopus

GiantOctopus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

My Belkin router is called a Surf N3000 Wireless N Router. Isn't that Wifi? I plug my Speedtouch modem into it using an Ethernet cable when i want to use my tablet.

here is a picture of my modem

516_front.jpg

and my router

belkin-f7d2401_4d8fe330f1c20.jpg

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

Yes the belkin is a wifi router.  Was it never setup for wifi?

Here is a link to its manual

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/MAN_F7D6301_v1_8820-00697_Surf_N300_N_Router.pdf?_ga=1.78445716.163613731.1451860537

connect if physically like you see on page two then follow the rest of the setup instructions.

#7 GiantOctopus

GiantOctopus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

Quick question. Can I use wired and WiFi internet at the same time?

For example can I plug that modem into my computer (via Ethernet cable) and surf the net using wired DSL and at the same time have my router plugged into it (with another Ethernet cable) giving off a Wifi signal that my brother can use simultaneously?

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

You would not plug the modem into your computer. 

You would connect wired to the wireless router.  The only connection to the modem is from the wan port of the router.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 06 January 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#9 GiantOctopus

GiantOctopus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

I just got a new computer. Can I just plug my router and modem into it and away I go, or do i have to do any re configuring with my router?

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

You would need to logon to the router to setup the wifi connection [use wpa2 with a strong passphrase].  It is also recommended you change the default password for the router access to something only you know [and remember].

so no not really plug and play.

Now if you have done this already then connecting a new pc is just plug and play

Edited by Wand3r3r, 06 January 2016 - 11:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users