Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winload.exe error after cloning to SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 k-dog77

k-dog77

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

Hi,

I'm just doing my 5th SSD upgrade - this is a Packard Bell notebook that I use when travelling.

I upgraded it to W10 a few months ago and it's been working fine.

It took a while to clone the HDD - at first it had errors and it took a while to repair these and get a successful clone with EaseTodo.

When I put the SSD in the laptop I got a startup error - at first I think it was 0xc00000000.

I have a USB with the W10 install files and followed steps for bootrepair and I copied winload.exe but it still won't work.

I now get the usual error message saying that Windows failed to load last time and when I tell it just to start I get an error saying:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

File:\Windows\system32zwinload.exe

Error code: 0xc0000428

I've tried to automatic repair but it just says it's not possible.

Any ideas where to go next? Thanks.

Edited by k-dog77, 01 January 2016 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:24 AM

The copy of winload.exe may have broken things further (as the last error message is that Windows cannot verify the digital signature of winload.exe)

When you clone a drive that has problems, you may also be cloning the problems.

What did you do to repair the problems, on what hard drive were the repairs made, and did you test the old system thoroughly to make sure that it was working well?

Did you run diagnostics on the old HDD?

I'd suggest:

- running HDD diagnostics on the old hard drive (if it is a HDD and not an SSD)

- then thoroughly test the old system to make sure it's working correctly.

- then re-clone and see if it works that way.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 k-dog77

k-dog77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The original drive is a HDD.

I just ran ChkDsk a few times and then tried to clone again - and it said it was successful rather than failed due to disk errors. I think the initial errors were bad sectors.

Is there something you would recommend to assess it properly?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

There's several different things that can affect the clone.

- it could be errors in the NTFS file system (which CHKDSK attempts to fix - this is not a hard drive diagnostic)

- it could be a physical problem with the hard drive (hard drive diagnostics can help with this - http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html )

- it could be a problem with the cabling (try resetting the cables or try other cables)

- it could be a problem with the controller/motherboard (the only quick fix for this is to try it on another computer).

- it could be that the cloning software is corrupted - less likely, but still possible.  (try fixing it by uinstalling and then installing a freshly downloaded copy)

- and there are many other, less-likely possibilities.

The final assessment is "Does it work?"

Try installing the SSD (and removing the HDD) and see if it works properly.

Post back if you have any problems with it.

Now, I presume that you've done all this and it still doesn't work.

The next step would be Startup Repair.

If that doesn't work, then try System Restore (from the Startup Repair menu) to a point before you changed the winload.exe file

If that doesn't work, then try Reset using the Keep My Files option

and finally, if that doesn't work, then try Reset using the Remove Everything option (backup your stuff first - everything will be lost when you Reset with the Remove Everything option).

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users