Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering programs due to malware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mavsynchroid

Mavsynchroid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

Heya. So I was in a rush to download an MKV player and without thinking clicked on the first link google gave me for a free MKV player. Of course once it installed, it started installing crap programs one after the other. I finally got it under control, and deleted all I could find. I also bought a license for malwarebytes and ran it, cleaning what I could find. Then I used AVG and SUPERantispyware to find even more crap and delete that.

However there's still something happening to my computer. It's kind of hard to explain but I'll give it my best shot.

I was playing an online game in Windowed mode called SWTOR (Star wars the old republic). I quickly realized that when I would left click rapidly, and even sometimes when I didn't, the window would flicker. By that I mean it flickers extremely fast, like a millisecond and showed the desktop behind the game window. When running programs on windows 7, there's always a little icon on the bottom of the screen, on the start up bar thingy, for the programs running. I had it so only SWTOR was running, so only the SWTOR icon was there. I noticed that sometimes when it would flicker, the icon would move over for less then a second, as if another program was starting up, only to go back to it's original spot, as if the program starting up cancelled itself.

I also notice this when web browsing. This is a bit more specific so bare with me. Say I have two separate windows open, each one having a web page on it. One is maximized to full screen. The other is not full screen, lets say taking up half the space of the screen. Now lets say I minimize both of them. When I try to bring up the full screen web browser window, it'll pop up, but the smaller window will pop up infront of it as well, as if I brought that one up after the full screen one, even though I didn't.

I personally think some sort of program, be it malware, a virus, etc, is quickly starting up only to disappear everytime I see that flicker. However when scanning with those three programs I mentioned above, the only thing that keeps popping up now is in SUPERAntiSpyware, and the threat is called...

"Trojan.Agent/Gen-Patched" and the directory is "C:\PROGRAM FILES\iu??o??-\1???a?e?ONLINE\TCLS\TE...\MEMORYALLOCTOR.DLL"

The letters i, u, o, a, and e in that directory are, I guess I'd say, the Spanish(?) version of those letters. They all have little accents above them.

Anyway, it should have been deleted after the first scan and reboot, but it's still there.

Also, even just while typing this, the web browser window flickered again.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but it's incredibly hard to explain. I don't know if that MEMORYALLOCTOR.DLL is the one causing the problems or not, but I feel like this is something I can't ignore.

I've also noticed that other open programs will randomly pop up infront of what I'm doing, as if they were selected. Also, Task manager seems to bother whatever it is, as Task Manager always stays on top. It causes some programs' window to... fidget, I guess I'd say.. As if they're being selected for a second and then not. You see the x in the top right hand corner go from grey to red, and the bar at the top go from grey to blue or whatever. I hope you get what I'm saying.Happens for a split second before unselecting the program. Last thing I noticed is on firefox, the top bar of the page might flicker saying "Not responding" for a second before going back to normal.

If anyone can help me at all, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

Hi

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hi:

It looks as if the user is already being assisted for this same problem at another forum:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/176893-flickering-programs-due-to-malware/

@Mavsynchroid: it's inefficient, confusing and potentially damaging to work on the same problem in multiple venues.

I suggest that you work in one place or the other, but not both.

Cheers,

MM

#4 Mavsynchroid

Mavsynchroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

Respectfully, I have to disagree with those statements. At the time there was no confirmation as to whether or not it was maleware causing the issue. Also, i made this second thread based on the information within the first thread, had you read it.

Fortunately, it turns out it was a problem with windows aero. At the time i didn't think anything of it, but after a restart of my computer, and when reaching the desktop again, i did notice something that seemed a bit unusual. In the top left hand corner of the desktop, before all my desktop icons showed up, it said something along the lines of "Setting up personal preferences" and something to do with themes i believe. It happened quickly and i wasn't focused on it so it's tough to remember.

Anyway, after researching for a while, i tried disabling Windows aero and POOF! The problem disappeared completely.

Granted I'm now without aero, but I would take that over the earlier issues.
Respectfully, I have to disagree with those statements. At the time there was no confirmation as to whether or not it was maleware causing the issue. Also, i made this second thread based on the information within the first thread, had you read it.

Fortunately, it turns out it was a problem with windows aero. At the time i didn't think anything of it, but after a restart of my computer, and when reaching the desktop again, i did notice something that seemed a bit unusual. In the top left hand corner of the desktop, before all my desktop icons showed up, it said something along the lines of "Setting up personal preferences" and something to do with themes i believe. It happened quickly and i wasn't focused on it so it's tough to remember.

Anyway, after researching for a while, i tried disabling Windows aero and POOF! The problem disappeared completely.

Granted I'm now without aero, but I would take that over the earlier issues.

#5 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

Ok glad you found a solution. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users