Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista running fairly slow

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

I was running Vista Business SP2 32-bit for a while. It started to get slow to the point, where the HDD light was blinking very fast or stayed always lit for a given moment. I also had Flash player crashes all the time. I thought that it was a low memory problem or a "Vista problem". I was planning to upgrade to 64-bit Vista to accommodate more RAM. At this time, I had already 4GB for RAM installed. However, Task Manager showed that during some times I was using up to 75% of available RAM.

One day, after suspecting a malware infection, I backed up the data, installed Vista Enterprise SP1 64-bit. Upon starting the computer for the first time after installation and trying to configure various tasks, I noticed that it ran even slower than it did before the installation. Very slow, in fact. The startup process took forever (2 min perhaps). I thought that this can't be malware because I just reinstalled an OS(unless my OS image was infected). So I thought that the PC didn't have enough RAM for 64-bit. I checked Task Manager, and RAM was running at 27%-50%. HDD light was lit half the time I used the computer. I installed additional 4GB of RAM, and still HDD light was lit and PC was slow at times (some performance was gained nevertheless). I also noticed that during one time I didn't have any programs running and CPU was anywhere from 20%-98% and RAM was about 20%-50% in Task Manager. I also have some processes listed as *32 in Task Manager. Not sure if that is a concern.

Not sure if this is a malware infection or failing hardware, or bad drivers.

By the way, the system is fully patched with Windows Updates at this point. The PC I am running this OS on is a dual core CPU.

Thanks in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

Vista SP1 is always slow, especially when you have a lot of programs running in the background. What antivirus do you have? Did you upgrade to SP2? What processor do you have? Is the RAM DDR2 or 3 and what's its speed in MHz? Did you installed your drivers? Install Advanced SystemCare and scan your computer's HardDisk and install their antivirus too, if yours is Avast!, Kaspersky or other antivirus software that are known to eat CPU or/and RAM.

Edited by antoniu200, 02 January 2016 - 06:26 AM.

#3 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:29 PM

Hello, thanks for the reply. I am at SP2. The OS was slow ever since I installed it: right from the beginning. I have AVG antivirus. The processor is Intel CORE2 Duo E7400. The RAM is DDR2 and it is 400MHz.

-Yes, I installed my drivers from the Dell support website. However, I suspect that there might be some driver issues(maybe I installed not the best drivers). I think that my computer was this slow even before I installed the AV. Actually, I discovered that the PC was slow while I was trying to install the AV.

I will install the Advanced Systemcare.

#4 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:59 AM

400MHz... That might be the problem, if your PC is a laptop. If Advanced SystemCare couldn't fix the issue, download Driver Booster to update your drivers. If all these fail, then open Run... and write msconfig. Go to startup and untick which of those you don't need, ex: Skype, Advanced SystemCare (you don't need it to start on your OS startup, because it will take from your RAM and CPU). Right from the beginning, you mean it was always like that?

Edited by antoniu200, 03 January 2016 - 05:01 AM.

#5 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

I didn't have a problem like this before, even when I used the 32-bit version of Vista. This happened as time went on. However, this problem happened right away, when I upgraded to the 64-bit Vista. The PC is a disktop: Dell Optiplex 760. The Advanced System Care helped a little bit on, but it also slowed the system down on the startup. Practically, no improvement. Also, it didn't find any infections on the PC.

I only have 5 programs listed in MSCONFIG Startup tab.

#6 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

Where does Driver Booster gets its drivers from?

#7 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

That's a really good question about Driver Booster. I always wondered too, 'cause it can install even the Wireless driver, which, as far as I know, you can install it only from a CD. One thing is sure, the drivers are Signed.

Doesn't matter how many there are listed on startup, disable all of them except your Antivirus and Microsoft Windows OS.

If on the 32-bit version you had no problems, then switch back to it. It will self-enable PAE, and recognize all tour RAM, at least in my case. I use Vista 32-bit SP2 and it recognizes all the 6 Gigs I have. And don't even worry too much about the recognized RAM, it will recognize AT LEAST 3 Gigs.

Edited by antoniu200, 04 January 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#8 LaurentiuB

LaurentiuB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:36 PM

Check what process take more cpu and see what happen when you uninstall antivirus, I have slow pc respond when i have McAfee installed, after uninstall most of speed are recovered (just a sugestion). See svchost if is "eat" lot of cpu

If you have 6 g is nosense to go to 32 bit

Edited by LaurentiuB, 05 January 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#9 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

We do not recommend programs like Advanced SystemCare and Driver Booster on this forum. The only thing they'll accomplish is damage your programs and operating system beyond repair. We get many computers ruined by those so-called "optimizers"... 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588573/internet-explorer/#entry3826505

Edited by Phantom010, 06 January 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#10 LaurentiuB

LaurentiuB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

100% agree

#11 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

I disabled Windows Defender, and two Advanced System Care programs from MSCONFIG Startup tab. Slight improvement, but still I was able to use the PC only after 1.5 minutes or so. The Internet connection became availabe after 1.5 minutes or so.

The svchost doesn't seem to eat CPU at all. HOwever, it does eat about 350MB of RAM. System Idle Process eats like 99 percent of CPU. Other CPU eaters seem to be MBAM, SVCHOST, SYSTEM. BUt they onley eat like 3-17 Percent, and only on occasions.

I get this problem mostly at startup. The disk light is constantly lit for like the first 5-10 minutes, then everything mostly returns to normal. It looks like a thrashing symptom, but when the disk is constantly lit, the RAM usage is about 30%. I got this problem even before the AV installation. Right when I install the OS. I starting to suspect the HDD. It is about 6.5 years old. It might be going out, thus affecting performance.

#12 LaurentiuB

LaurentiuB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

S.M.A.R.T. data from hdd?

Try to change data cable to avoid communication error betwen hdd and mb, and run hdd diagnostic program, preferable fom producer of hdd.

#13 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

System Idle Process only shows how much of the CPU performance is left. 99% left from the CPU is a lot. Then, it means it's the RAM or the GPU. Try disabling Aero by right-clicking on your desktop->Personalize->Window color and aspect->Open classic aspect properties for more color options
and then select Windows Vista Basic or Windows Standard/Classic.

I would actually recommend those "optimizers" because ASC fixed the boot time from my old Toshiba Sattelite A200-1MB from even 1 minute or more to like 15-20 Seconds without disabling any Startup program or imporant service. Only fixed 4778 HDD errors. :) many errors!! When I saw that number I started laughing and asking myself "How can this computer still run so good, when it has that many errors??".

Edit: People should use the " optimizers" carefully.

Edited by antoniu200, 06 January 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#14 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

Please click HERE to run the free Autoruns.

Then, once the program is running, click File > Save...

In the Type box, click the down arrow and select Text (*.txt) as file type and save the file to your desktop.

Attach it to your next reply.

#15 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

I reseated the RAM sticks and the boot up process got slightly faster. However, when I was loaded into desktop, I still had to wait almost 2 minutes before being able to use the Internet. The HDD light was lit as well during the boot up process.

I also ran the HDD SMART utility from Western Digital. According to it, the HDD is fine. Although there were two catergories that showed 76 and 74, the rest was fine. Not sure if these categories are important or not, the SMART test had a green checkmark on it.

Also, I took the SATA cable from the DVD drive and attached it to the HDD. THe boot up was slightly faster, but when loaded into desktop, the same problem persists. After several minutes, the HDD light is normal again.

I start to think that this is a hardware problem. Motherboard, RAM, or HDD? Not sure.

2) I don't have Aero enabled right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users