Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Issue

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Electricfat

Electricfat

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

Hey guys, I recently had an issue with my laptop being stuck in an update loop in which I could not even log into the computer. The advanced menu became completely useless and I had to install windows 8.1 back onto the laptop via disk. 

The laptop is fine now with the fresh install of windows. However all the Toshiba software went because it was not a Toshiba issue of win 8.1.  The fn keys no longer work meaning I can no longer light up the keyboard or use of those buttons. This does not particularly bother me but it is annoying, Also the touchpad no longer works properly as I cannot use scroll features or even right click ! 

I have browsed the Toshiba Website for these drivers but I cannot find the ones which will return my PC into working form. So is there like "Aftermarket" software which will allow these features to work again. Or is the a place which has Win 8 with all the Toshiba software on it which i can download and install back onto my PC. 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Electricfat 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hi Electricfat :)

Can you give me the brand and model of your laptop? Also, are you running Windows 8.1 32-bit or 64-bit?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

Hey Man, 

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P850

Running Windows 8.1 64bit 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:31 AM

Can you give me your laptop's model-part number? Here's where to find it:

http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?contentId=4007069

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:01 AM

Sure, 

The model number is PSPKFA-049001. 

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

Here's the Toshiba Hotkey program.

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/file/download/resource/file/22492/tc30491100a.exe

All the drivers for your Toshiba model are there:

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/computers/satellite/p850/pspkfa-049001/download?os=30

Posting it for future reference if needed.

unite_blue.png

#7 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:18 PM

I have installed the driver and it only made 2 of the buttons work. They were brightness and the volume. The rest just don't work. Should I install all the important drivers in the list and see if that does anything ? 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Install the touchpad drivers next.

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/file/download/resource/file/22484/tc40177000d.exe

unite_blue.png

#9 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

Touchpad is working properly after installation of the driver but the button to turn it on and off still not working along side with the others. 

Edited by Electricfat, 01 January 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:55 PM

Did you went in the Advanced Mouse options to see if you have a new tab for the touchpad and see if you can enable/disable that option?

unite_blue.png

#11 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

I can enable/disableit by going into the software but I cannot do it by clicking the button on the keyboard it was originally allocated to. 

Edited by Electricfat, 01 January 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Which method in the ones below are you using to disable/enable it?

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads-Knowledge/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-my-touchpad/ta-p/447265

unite_blue.png

#13 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

The method I can use to enable/disable is not shown there but essentially by going into touch pad driver software and just switching it off like that. 

However the method in which it says to tap the top left hand of the touchpad works perfectly but the one which involved the function keys does not work as none of the keys besides brightness and volume work. 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

What other functions can you control with the Kn keys except for the brightness and sound?

unite_blue.png

#15 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

The FN keys do not work at all. The brightness and sound are buttons which are above F2,F3 and F9,F10. 

Here is a picture: http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-blhknq8/product_images/images/toshiba_c855_laptop_key.jpg 

This picture shows that there are buttons above the fn keys. All of them don't work besides brightness up and down as well as volume up and down. 

The fn keys ie F1,F2,F3 will only work if holding fn key and pressing the respective button. At the moment even doing this does not work. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users