Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which anti-virus program are you using?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 awesomearc

awesomearc

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

Hello everyone. :)

Use this thread to talk about which anti-virus program you are using, whether you like it or not, and why.

I myself use AVG Internet Security.

I like it because it has kept my PC protected from any kind of malware for over 2 years.
Many of my friends continue to recommend me to keep using AVG as they think it is great.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 December 2015 - 11:53 PM.
moved from General Chat to the appropriate forum for this topic

Usually, I do not get online before 1:00 PM or after 10:00 PM (my local time).

So, if I do not reply to a thread where I am currently active, make sure you check my local time to see if it's time for me to be online or not. :)

Here is a speccy snapshot (always latest) of my current computer: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QQA3FXM1Pwk7w2wYIXWbS3C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

AVG.....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600809/avg-chrome-extension-exposes-user-datasecurity-week/#entry3898329

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#3 kkoz83

kkoz83

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:44 PM

Norton Internet Security but on other PCs I used Bitdefender (which has no "ignore threat" option) so I'm leaning to Comodo Internet Security...also recommend Kaspersky Internet Security.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:44 PM

It is pretty obvious in my signature. :)

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:47 PM

Emsisoft....arguably the best of the best.

For those who need a little 'light' reading.......with great insight.....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry3897161

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:11 AM

It is pretty obvious in my signature. :)

I'll go with that she said :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 903 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:17 AM

ESET NOD32 + EAM.

#8 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:12 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7.

Reasons for:

It runs quietly in the background. It updates two or three times every day. It's provided by Microsoft who I expect to know what is required for Windows 7. It's free.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:28 AM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), is was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates inself even though users intentionally choose to remove them.

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:01 AM

I use ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus and Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware have exploit and behavior blocking features. Emsisoft uses advanced behavior blocking analysis to continually monitor the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity.Emsisoft has the ability to detect unknown zero-day attacks and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks. ESET Antivirus and Smart Security uses Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited. ESET monitors the behavior of processes, looks for and blocks suspicious activities that are typical for exploits including. ESET's Java Exploit Blocker looks for and blocks attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in Java.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

My freebie choice:  Avast Antivirus, installed via advanced/custom mode, is one of several excellent free programs out there.  [I moved from free to fee because of the greater setup/configuration/tweaking abilities within the paid versions.  While the data files are the same, while the basic scan powers are the same, the setup/configuration/tweaking choices are often a little more limited within free versions.]

Edited by RolandJS, 01 January 2016 - 08:30 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#12 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:24 PM

I use the paid version of AVG antivirus - with Malwarebytes antimalware and antiexploit. I used the free AVG for many years before buying it 5 years ago. I've had no problems with it.

#13 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

Emsisoft of course.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Emsisoft of course.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security Suite?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#15 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

For the moment it's plain old Windows Defender (formerly MSE). I had Avast! Free, but I grew tired of having to disable it in order to install display drivers &c. Oh and of course common sense 2016 ;)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users