Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I buy an iPad or a chromebook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Joan6275

Joan6275

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

I love iPads as much as I enjoy using them, but I want to try a whole new operating system which is chrome OS found in chromebooks. Though I am afraid I may not like a chromebook. I am currently saving money to purchase a new device. I like iPads because I am very familiar with iOS and almost all of its functions, I even have songs and apps that I purchased way back in 2009 from iTunes Store, albeit I have music collection with Google, my iTunes collection is much bigger. This includes apps, music, and videos and photos. But my questions here is would a chromebook satisfy as much as an iPad. I don't like that there is no skype, but I can live without it.
Now let me tell the differnces I know so you can help me decide.

Cellular options: I am the type of person who uses not only wifi but mobile networks as well to connect to the web and watch YouTube videos. Also there is one thing to know, cellular options are limited to 3G and certain models of certain brands on chromebooks and only one carrier: Verizon which its data plans are pricey, on the other hand iPad or other android tablet you can always find them at wireless carrier store and you can find iPads in almost every carrier. And more 3G options should be considered in a chromebook because it's a 90% online only computer versus the iPad which is 50% online and 50% offline. In clonclusions the limited available cellular options on chromebooks are a deal breaker to me.

Variety of applications: albeit you can always find classic apps such as Facebook and angry birds in almost every operating system there is no denying that some apps are not available on the chromebook as there available on an iOS or android device, for example skype is not on the chromebook and that is a deal breaker to me since I take online classes using Skype.

Productivity: both devices offers competitive options with word processing, excel, and PowerPoint, however important files would be much safer on a chromebook thanks to the always online operating system and google drive, so in productivity a Chromebook would be better.

Speed and aging: a chrome book should be as fast as an iPad, however the iPad would decrease in speed the more apps are used and the older the iPad gets, on the other hand a Chromebook would always remain fast thanks to the lightweight operating system and pc and macs are known for their longetivity of aging slow as opposed to iPads and other tablets aging in a period of two to three years or even a year. So for speed and aging the chromebook is better.

Screen quality and touch screens: I prefer a touch screen over a mouse and a physical keyboard,mchromebooks are not known for screen quality and tablets have better displays for competitive prices, unless you spend $900 dollars on a chromebook pixel, so for that matter the iPad is more convenient.

Operating systems: a fundamental part of every device, both the iPads and chromebooks have software limitations so for that matter I have no software preference.

Conclusion: a chromebook is a bit cheaper than a tablet and usually much cheaper than iPad, is it worth making the. Is it worth switching operating system from iOS to chrome OS, or should I remain in iOS which I am already familiar with? Should I buy a chromebook or an iPad? What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

Why not get an Android device instead of a Chromebook, heck for the difference in price between an iPad you could get both.

#3 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:52 AM

Chromebook is a low-end computer that is highly depended on the internet.  It can be good and bad because everything is save on the cloud, but its almost not useable if its not connected to the internet.  Also most of them are not touch screen.  I think its good for someone who is on a budget and only use it for basic things: such as email, Google Doc, social media, etc.  My opinion is if you are already familiar with an ipad, stick with an ipad.  Chromebook is, in my opinion, like an Android but looks like a google Chrome. 

Edited by one2treefor5, 05 January 2016 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users