Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VLC Media Player interfering with backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yzoldowl

yzoldowl

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:58 PM

Two days ago, I backed up my computer -- HP 8000 running Windows 7 Pro -- or thought I did!  Come to find out, that backup somehow turned into a VLC Media Player file with the extension .bin.  So I tried to open it with VLC MP with no result.  Took VLC MP out using the Windows removal tool in the Control Panel:  no joy.  Manually took out the remaining VLC files and now I'm totally stumped!  It happened a third time.  Seems that since I installed this particular player I can no longer back up my other files. 

I tried checking and unchecking "permissions" for VLC; that doesn't work either.  There is no help from https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ -- the contact simply closed the file without telling me anything.  Is there a driver I need to remove? -- and how do I do that?  Or is the problem somewhere in my Registry?  If I had the option not to have this VLC at all, I would surely take it, but I have some important videos that for some reason will only open with VLC.  Screenshot attached from when I asked the question and got the non-answer.Attached File  VLC Contact.jpg   173.22KB   0 downloads 

I really, really, really  need to back up my computer!  If it fails some files important to me will be lost.  Thanks in advance for any help here! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

Have you been using Windows built-in backup/restore program?  May I suggest you try the free version of Macrium Reflect?  Let's eliminate at least one important variable -- Windows' seeming collusion with VLC.

Also, you're trying to convert that bin-backup into another type of file, correct?

Edited by RolandJS, 31 December 2015 - 09:03 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:58 AM

Hi yzoldowl,

I've been using windows back up for years and that file is always present 

From my understanding (which could be flawed,always open to a more comprehensive answer) it behaves a bit like a .cue file in audio (a list of files and location etc) hence its size 1kb

The reason for the vlc icon is because of file associations  (vlc by default is set to open .bin files, but it could be any other program that can open.bin)

Your backups are safe they are just in a different folder If you look at my screen shot I too have the small .bin file

But my backups are in the Bruno file (with the backup icon)

I did delete the .bin in the past but it returns very quickly

I hope this puts your mind at rest

Attached File  Capture.PNG   35.44KB   0 downloads

Hedge

#4 Brandx

Brandx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:42 AM

Your hard drive maker will have software for backup. WD makes Smartware available for free download. http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&fid=wdsfWDSmartWare

I am a Seagate user, they give me Discwizard. Both products are based on Acronis software.

I use the "clone" drive automatically option. That way if I have failure my backup drive should boot my OS complete with data and my configurations.

I am able to back up to my USB 3 cradle device on my two older computers. On my newer motherboard, I have to hook up backup drive to internal sata port.

Your backup (destination) drive must be as large as your drive being backed up (source drive). I have slightly different model numbers which makes it easier to setup. IE: my on my source drives are hybrids (SSHD) and destination drives are regular HDD.

Good luck to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users