Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games and game downloads are glichy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gearyray

Gearyray

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

Just installed win. 10 about 30 days ago when prompted. All was fine at first. Now there is a glich that is a start and stop, over and over, in games and it affects all I do on windows. Mostly ganes like candystand ( free on line ) but even a download fron a disk. I have tried ti follow links offered on this sight for roll back and reinstall, but I never seem to get there, even after 20 minets. Combo fix is out with windows 10. I did a refresh of windows 10 to no avail. I used task manager with no negative or any response. Desk top. Can not afford to take it in for repair. I have 6 years trial and error experirnce. Just a novice. not sure what to do. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Have you checked, at your computer manufacturer's website, whether there are any device drivers for your device that are either:

1.  Much newer than the one(s) you have?

2.  Noted as specifically being for a Windows 10 environment?

There have been huge numbers of problems that range from "tiny burps" to crippling that have been traced back to device drivers.  It seems to be somewhat more severe for systems upgraded from Windows 7 and for "well-used" systems whether they started out as Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Doing a Reset installation simply gives you a fresh copy of Windows 10 with the "generic" device drivers that Microsoft associates with your hardware, and those associations are not always the best ones.

The first thing I'd do were I you is to go to your computer manufacturer's support website, search on your particular model, and download any updated drivers they offer, but with particular attention to devices that games interact with particularly intimately:  display, sound, and possibly specific input devices.  The latter drivers should be updated on your system first.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Gearyray

Gearyray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

Thanks!! Good response. Will give it a try. By the way Not new to this sight but could not remember the details to log in, any way a mess. I appreciate your help. Will respond if this is still a problem. : Gearyray

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

Post #1
If none of the tweaks britechguy has suggested get your games (or any other programs that matter to you) working, then my advice would be to return to your older operating system. You say you upgraded 30 days ago, so this could be difficult now, however if you have any manufacturer's recovery media or system images from before the upgrade then you should be able to return to your old OS without trouble, at which point your games and programs should work like they previously did. Within the first 30 days after upgrade windows 10 has built in roll-back options, but after 30 days it deletes the folder containing the old data needed to return to your old OS, that's why you would have to use recovery media, system images or a combination of both. I suggest you atleast look into the possibility of returning to your old OS, start a thread asking for help doing so, and act quickly, if you're lucky (if your "about 30 days" means less than 30 days)there might still be ways of returning without needing to use recovery media or system images. The key point of an OS is to run the programs (games are a type of program) that matter to you, if you can't use tweaking of settings or updating of drivers on windows 10 to get your games to work then your best option is to return to an OS where your games did work.

After returning to your old OS there are things you can do to prevent the prompts that caused you to upgrade this time.

Edited by rp88, 01 January 2016 - 02:31 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Gearyray

Gearyray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

Gearyray again: I Think I was Wrong? My computer went to almost a complete melt down. Now I have popups and knew I had a virus or such.  Used adware remover and rkill. Anti anything was being blocked ( Avast free, Malwarebyts free, Spybot sd, ) . Not dumb to viruses but, restoring settings and the two removers and my antivirus has not helped. I get redirected to pch games from candystand. I have removed alot of small viruses or cookies. I ran spyhunter, and found two major and one medium threat, but could not pay to remove the threats. They were adware related. What would be my next step??? I can use my computer but it is very anoying !!!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Gearyray,

Hit the report button beneath my post and ask the moderator to move this to the "Am I infected? What should I do?" forum.  That's where your next round of help will come from.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 Gearyray

Gearyray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

Thanks! Sorry for the confussion! Gearyray

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 09 January 2016 - 05:30 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Am I infected?'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users