Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have Altnet, Cydoor, Zango And Others...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sprinks

Sprinks

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

I have run Spybot and it finds Altnet.
Ad-ware finds MRU List, AltnetBDE and Zango
Spyware finds Cydoor.

I have the logs.

Please help.

Thank you,
Kendrick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,944 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hello Sprinks

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? Your saying that both Spybot and Ad-aware are finding malware which means they are doing their job. Did they not remove whatever they found?

If your having problems with Spybot and Ad-aware removing malware, try doing your scans in SAFE MODE.

If that does not work, then download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users
alternate site
alternate site
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe to install and use the default settings for installation.
  • Run SUPERAntiSypware and update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates".
  • When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
  • There are three scanning options available. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
  • When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Place a checkmark next to items you wish to remove/quarantine and Click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • Select close to exit the program.
Also, if your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 in "SAFE MODE".
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Then perform this online Virus scan:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sprinks

Sprinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thank you Quietman7 and Bobbysocks for your reply, my apology for taking so long to apply your suggestions and get back with the results.
Quietman7;
I am running Win XP, the anti-virus program I use is BSafe, it updates every time I go on-line. I also have Spybot, Spyware X-Terminator and Ad-Aware SE. At your suggestion I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware and Ewido. Here are the results:
Spybot continually finds "Altnet" and a series titled "Windows Security Center:AntivirusDisableNotify, :AntivirusOverride, :FirewallDisableNotify, :FirewallOverride, :SP2UDate, :UpdateDisableNotify.
Ad-Aware SE continually finds "MRU LIST", "Altnet BDE", and Zango.
Spyware X-Terminator continually finds "Cydoor".
None of these seem to be able to remove any of the problems. Altnet seems to present the biggest problem for these programs, when they go through the cleaning process, Altnet is the only one that the programs identify as not being able to remove, the others appear to get deleted, but running the programs over again brings up the same pest programs over and over!
I downloaded Ewido and had it run through its hard drive checks, it came up with a list of spyware programs which I then deleted. I ran Ewido again and it came up clean. But if I run Spybot, Ad-Aware or Spyware X-Terminator after, they come up with the same programs again and again regardless if it is done in Safe Mode or not.
Bobbysocks;
I tried to manually remove Cydoor per your instructions, but could not find the any references to the program.
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Regardless of the potential for these programs to do harm, I want them all removed! Altnet seems to be the driving force behind the others, I don't know? It's frustrating. Any other help would be appreciated, I have small windows of time to sit here and clean up this mess, so forgive my delay in replying, but I do go through all the suggestions you give.
Anymore information I can provide for you?

Thanks,
Sprinks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,944 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:33 AM

For your Spybot alerts on Windows Security Center see the screenshot here and more dicussion here.

Sounds like you have Ad-aware configured for a more detailed scan than necessary. The MRU list is the Most Recently Used list. It is used to make it easier to reopen programs/files that you recently used and its not considered danagerous. If Ad-aware is configured to search for negligible risk entries they will always show up in your scans. To avoid this, when you click on Scan Now, deselect "Search for negligible risk entries". If you choose to search for these, then just understand they are not a threat but can be removed at your choice.

I don't know how effective Spyware X-Terminator is. I would recommend using one of the more popular programs with a proven track record like CounterSpy or Spysweeper.

I suggest you download, install and scan with the 15-day free trial of Sunbelt's Counterspy.
CounterSpy User Guide.
1. When Counterspy completes its scan, the "Scan Results" box will appear.
2. Click on "View Results".
3.Under (Recommended Action), using the drop down menu arrows at the side of each entry found, set EVERYTHING to "Remove".
4. Click on "Take Action".
5. Once everything has been removed, click on "View Details".
6. Copy and Paste the details into a text document and save it to your desktop.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users