Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failure in a Thinkpad. What to do now?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rad7

rad7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

Hello forum,

I have a fairly basic knowledge about computers, so I am hoping that I will get some help with my problem here.

I have a Lenovo T440 and the hard drive failed after just 3 months of light use. I don't have a recovery disc, but since it is still under warranty, Lenovo gave me three options:

1. Either mail the laptop to them or 

2. Get it repaired at a local depot (at a Lenovo partner agent) or

3. Repair it myself after they mail me a new hard drive with an installation disc

As someone who has never attempted to do any kind of major troubleshooting, will I be able to repair it myself using option 3? I am also thinking of buying an SSD and use the replacement HDD that Lenovo sends me as a backup drive using an enclosure. If I want to do this, what steps do I have to follow?

Also, what about options 1 & 2?

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 01:19 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,029 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

If you do not have experience disassembling a laptop then I would not recommend 3. Laptops usually have an access panel on the back that will let you easily remove and replace the drive but according to this page you have to open the case on a T440. I would go with option 1 or 2.

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/lenovo-thinkpad-t440-teardown/

#3 rad7

rad7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

Thank you very much. That link was very helpful.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,029 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

You may want to consider option 1 over 2. If Lenovo determines it is more than a hard drive problem they may give you an new or reconditioned computer. The only down side of option 1 is the shipping involved.

#5 rad7

rad7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

Thank you once again. Do you think I can request them to replace it with an SSD (after paying for it) or do you think it will be more economical if I do that on my own? The system has a 500 GB 7200rpm HDD + a 16 GB SSD caching drive. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,029 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

If you are comfortable splitting the case then you could ask Levono and see what they say but they may want to replace the drive with a exact replacement because of Warranty requirements. I can't see how you replacing it could be cheaper if the drive is purchased for Lenovo. They would be replacing it under Warranty. This would give you a main SSD and a 16GB SSD. I am not sure if this would change any current settings. A HDD with a SSD for a cache drive probably requires intel's Smart Response Software if the CPU is intel. With a primary SSD the 16GB SSD would probably not give much of an improvement.

#7 rad7

rad7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:46 PM

Okay,  thank you very much.

#8 flash900

flash900

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

Get the SSD.

I bought a refurbed Thinkpad W 520 last May. The dealer installed 16 GB of Ram and a 500 GB SSD.....Wow. I will never again settle for the standard laptop's HD or just 4 GB of memory.

My soup-up 520 boots up fast and runs cool and quietly. Light years better than my previous machine, the similar W 510 but with standard parts.

#9 rad7

rad7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

Yes, I am planning to get an SSD. Just waiting for any coupons or discounts for Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD. Lenovo sent me a replacement HDD which is not new but a "certified reutilized part", so I am not not going to take a chance this time with that.

#10 flash900

flash900

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

Smart move!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users