Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proscan converter box and now I need a flash drive. I think?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PC60dum

PC60dum

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hello All,

This isn't exactly a PC question, but it's an electronic question so maybe someone can help. Due to a lack of revenue I decided to pretend it's last century and watch TV with an indoor antenna. Can ya believe it? At one time almost everyone used antennas. Or they went to plays. lol

My TV is analogue so I had to buy a converter box. I want to tell everyone that the quality of the picture coming in over the air blew me away. If I didn't know it was an antenna I would never have guessed. In a few days I'm getting a signal booster because I'm 30 miles from most stations.

But now for the question/problem. I bought a cheap Proscan converter box, Model 102-B. Maybe that wasn't a great idea. This box can do a whole lot more than convert digital signals to analogue ones. Had I realized this I would have spent more bucks on it. Here's the issue. It can even act like a DVR and record shows when I'm there as well as when I'm not. However, I need to buy a flash drive. So, bearing in mind the cash crunch what should I buy? I think flash drives can be reused, but those are more money? My main question is how much space do I need to record a 1 hr TV show? I also notice flash drives are 2.0 or 3.0. Can I use a 2.0 they are cheaper.

I feel so stupid asking this question that at least I hope I made someone get a laugh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

I can only speak from my small amount of experiences.

Video files are the largest that I've encountered...not that I have dealt with every file type possible, but I can't imagine a file larger than a recorded video file.

I don't think there's a simple answer to your question, since I believe that file size depends somewhat upon format used for the file.

I can only tell you this...I have a capture card and I record movies from my cable box via the card.  I record mostly sports events and movies, with the captured file in .ts format.  A .ts file for a 2-hour game/movie will approximate 4-5GB of storage space for me.

You can use Google to look up the differences in flash drives...I never pay attention to such, for me...it's the storage capacity that's important.

Louis

#3 PC60dum

PC60dum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

Thanks Louis.

According to the owners manual the box will use the Fat32 file format. I don't know much about file types neither. But I do know the Fat32 is what all windows used up to XP. Then a file system called NTFS came out and everyone told me it's better than the Fat32. But I forget why.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:21 AM

Hi PC60dum, and welcome to BC,

As the "box" is using Fat32 you are limited to 4GB file size

How long/much video depends on how the "box" compresses it (but you should get at least a film on it Say 1.5 hours)in one file but not in HD

Good luck

Hedge 

Edited by hedgeley, 01 January 2016 - 06:28 AM.

#5 PC60dum

PC60dum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

Thank you Hedge. So I will buy the cheapest 1 I can.

Some additional reading last night, taught me that I should buy a 2.0 or 3.0 based on the actual USB. 3.0 are the newest and have a blue tongue. My box USB isn't blue. Solved that problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users